Brett Beachler is Vice President of Beachlers Vehicle Care and Repair, Peoria, IL. Brett has been in the automotive industry for 30+ years and is third generation family. He started in the family business at about age 13 maintaining the business property.
At age 16, he officially entered into the family business pumping gas at their Amoco gas station. He slowly integrated into the shop throughout high school by changing tires, performing oil services, and very light duty mechanical repairs.
Added experience at a corporate job.
Brett graduated from Bradley University with a bachelor of science in business. He departed the family business to work in the corporate world for four years. His Dad, Terry, asked Brett to re-join the family business. Since that time, Brett has not looked back and has enjoyed almost every minute of his time in the family business.
Brett says his dad is a forward thinker and is the second generation with his grandfather, Bob, starting the business in 1951.
Key talking points in the interview:
- Beachlers is known, since 1951, as a super ethical shop. No compromising. They are a shop of second options.
- Learn about Brett’s Lunch and Learn seminars for local business’s.
- Company Tours. He shows off his business to new customers and any legacy customers who have not seen the new building.
- Explains his 250K Mileage program for their customers.
- A loyal podcast listener. Brett’s Top 3 are: Dave Ramsey, Andy Stanley and Carm Capriotto (how cool)
- 40% of his business is maintenance.
- He wrote a book; Beachers Guide To Vehicle Care and Repair. He calls it an advanced business card.
- The tech shortage is an opportunity.
- He currently has an intern from high school working at the shop.
- Your new employees won’t come to you. You need to meet and greet them. Reach out. Get your brand out there and welcome people into the industry.
- He has a high referral business; however you must exercise your social network. Your future customers live there.
- Average tenure of his technicians is 36 years. Four of five techs are going to retire in the next three to seven years. A challenge and an opportunity; the next generation tech must be more technical.
- He credits his customer follow up system as an important ingredient to his success.
- He has a special system to manage reviews.
Brett and Terry are involved with a share group, Bob Cooper’s Elite Worldwide and coach, Jim Murphy. Brett and two technicians will be attending Vision 2017 for the first time. Brett’s dad Terry serves on the advisory board at our local Illinois Central College Automotive Program.
Brett’s interests are family. There are 5 children in the family and one daughter at home. Brett enjoys bicycling with his daughter (they rode their bicycles in the summer of 2016 from their home town to Green Bay, WI). Brett also enjoys mountain biking and is most passionate about cross country ski racing.
Brett serves on his daughter’s school board and serves on the local Make A Wish committee. Beachlers is involved with donating several thousands of dollars of oil services to local churches, organizations, and charities in the Peoria area. Beachlers also partners with Dream Center Peoria to raise funds for the organization through their new customers donation program.
|Years in industry:||30|
|Years in business ownership:||66|
|Number of technicians:||11|
|Number of lifts:||7|
|Number of bays:||8|
|Days Open;||Mon – Sat|
|Annual estimated volume:||$1.8MM|
|Percent of work type:||Repair 50%, Maintenance 40%, Other 10%|
|Average yearly training hours per technician:||20|
|ASE Certification:||Service Advisor|
|ASE Blue Seal Certified:||Yes|
|Biggest challenges in business today:||Technician shortage, Changes in technology, Marketing|
|Trainer/Coach:||Elite coaching and Jim Murphy|
|First Call Supplier:||NAPA|
|Performing Hybrid Repairs:||Yes|
This episode is brought to you by Federal-Mogul Motorparts and Garage Gurus. With brands like Moog, Felpro, Wagner Brake, Champion, Sealed Power, FP Diesel and more, they’re the parts techs trust. For serious technical training and support – online, onsite and on-demand – Garage Gurus is everything you need to know. Find out more at fmmotorparts.com and fmgaragegurus.com