Gary Sharits was honored as the Repair Pal / ASE Master Automobile Technician of the Year 2016
Gary Sharits grew up on an orange grove and learned a lot about fixin’ things. He went to college for electronics and couldn’t find a job in that field.
Gary found a job as a ‘mechanics helper’ in the used car get ready department that shifted to a full time new car get ready technician for the same Chevrolet dealership. His electronics background helped him understand GM’s new 3C electronic systems with electronic carburetor at the time.
He was an ASE Master Technician for many years having previously won this prestigious recognition back in 1992 when he worked for Donald Olson Tire. Gary is now a Service Manager for Christian Brothers of Land O Lakes, FL.
Gary is humbled to have won this honor even though he is now a Service Manager, but he has kept up his ASE credentials.
Interview Talking Points:
- One of Gary’s biggest concerns is to convey to the customer that the job is being done the way he described it.
- Your body tells you that your career as a tech may be over when you cannot contort your body under dashboards anymore.
- Best advice to a young person entering the industry:
- Get additional training in electronics.
- It is not just a job. Do it because you want to.
- Strive to be the very best you can be and strive to learn everyday.
- The industry needs soft skills learners; people who can take what they read in a book, translate it to their hands and understand what is going on. And ask the question ‘why does it work this way?’
- Best advice to service advisors/managers; put yourself in your customer’s shoes. Always fix the problem they came in for.
Gary is married to wife Vicki for over 31 years. They have three adult children.
He and Vicki enjoy biking together and enjoy getting together as a family whenever possible.
This episode is brought to you by Federal-Mogul Motorparts and Garage Gurus. With brands like Moog, Felpro, Wagner Brake, Champion, Sealed Power, FP Diesel and more, they’re the parts techs trust. For serious technical training and support – online, onsite and on-demand – Garage Gurus is everything you need to know. Find out more at fmmotorparts.com and fmgaragegurus.com