Revolution is a Mercedes-Benz and smart Specialist.
Matt Purcelle, the owner of Revolution, has more than 20 years working exclusively with Mercedes-Benz vehicles. His passion for the Mercedes-Benz brand began at a young age while riding around in his grandmother’s 1972 280SE 4.5, which he still owns and keeps in showroom condition.
He got his start working on Mercedes-Benz when he took, what was supposed to be a summer job, at a local Mercedes specialty repair shop after his junior year at Georgia Tech. That job was so much fun he didn’t return to school in the fall. He is now an ASE certified Master Technician with additional certifications in Advanced Engine Performance and Light Duty Diesel Vehicles.
What little free time he gets is spent cooking with his wife and three children and trying to become a better tennis player.
- Matt wears a bow tie to work every day. He’ll tell you why.
- Treat every customer like you would your mother.
- At Revolution, they wash and vacuum every car that comes in the shop. Matt feels this is part of his strong differentiation in the market.
- Customer waiting area has chocolates. Customers love ’em.
- They keep a vegetable garden in the front of the shop.
- They grow their customers like they grow their vegetables.
- Referrals have driven his success. The growth rate in the business is 10% with no advertising budget for new customers.
- Will build a new building in 2018. His dream shop.
- He outgrew the space and parking.
- Will add double the footprint with up to 14 bays.
- Improved waiting room so there can be space for a comfortable engagement with customers.
- Would have hired a coach sooner in his career. He wasn’t prepared to be a leader.
- Matt says that he is not a touchy-feely guy. But he has a special openness and honesty with his people. He has a great trust with this people.
|Number of locations:||1|
|Total square feet of all facilities:||7,500|
|Years in industry:||22|
|Years business ownership:||18|
|Number of technicians:||4|
|Number of service advisers:||2|
|Number of lifts:||9|
|Number of bays:||9|
|Days open:||Mon – Fri|
|Annual estimated volume:||$2M|
|Effective labor rate:||$100|
|Average repair order (ARO):||$650|
|Average car count:||56/Week|
|YTD gross profit percent:||45%|
|YTD net profit percent:||15%|
|Technician training hours per year:||8|
|Service adviser training hours per year:||8|
|CEO Trianing hours per year:||Many|
|ASE:||Master, L1 and Light Diesel|
|Shop management system (SMS):||Winworks Autoshop|
|Digital Vehicle Inspection:||AutoVitals|
|Biggest challenges:||Technician Shortage|
|Mission Statement:||Treat all of our customers as you would treat your mother.|
This episode is brought to you by Federal-MogulMotorparts and Garage Gurus. With brands like Moog, Felpro, Wagner Brake, Champion, Sealed Power, FP Diesel and more, they’re the parts techs trust. For serious technical training and support – online, onsite and on-demand – Garage Gurus is everything you need to know. Find out more at fmmotorparts.com and fmgaragegurus.com
Download the Remarkable Results Radio listening APP for your smart device: