Jody DeVere is an internationally recognized speaker, trainer, often quoted industry pundit and spokesperson for the automotive industry on the women’s market. She has been featured by the New York Times, NPR, Wall Street Journal, CNN, Fox Business, Forbes Women, Oprah Magazine and Parenting Magazine to name a few. As CEO of AskPatty.com, she provides automotive education to women consumers and an interactive online Certified Female Friendly® certification training program for automotive retailers on how to attract, sell, retain and market to women.
In her role as marketing to women expert, automotive journalist, car care expert and safety spokesperson her goal is to educate women car buyers and owners, the automotive industry at large and promote, mentor and support careers for women in the automotive industry.
Jody DeVere is a champion for women in the automotive industry, and her company AskPatty.com, Inc. serves as the first point of contact for many women who are seeking the very best experience to buy a car and service by visiting Certified Female Friendly® automotive retail locations across the United States and Canada. Find Jody’s Previous Episodes HERE.
Key Talking Points:
- Misconceptions on hiring women
- Need technical background
- Tech first as a prerequisite
- Only 26% of people working in the automotive industry are women
- Women who have exceptional customer service, listening and communication skills have a retail background- help wanted ads in an only automotive classified section will not capture that.
- You need to advertise in the retail help wanted section.
- Mention companies outside of the automotive industry (Has experience working in Verizon, Macy’s, Starbucks)
- Enable career path and competitive benefits- student loan aid, flexible schedule for continuing education
- Women have better listening skills than men.
- Get involved
- Community, chamber groups, business networking- best employees come from word of mouth
- Start relationship with high school/college programs- apprenticeships/mentoring/scholarships
- Girl Scout/boy scout car care badge
- Rebel Rally
- All women off-road rally, 10 days no cell phones, no GPS
- Navigation rally with compass, map, plotting tools, and road book
- Get points for various checkpoints
- Thanks to Jody DeVere for his contribution to the aftermarket’s premier podcast.
- Ask Patty Website HERE.
- Certified Female Friendly Website HERE.
- Link to the ‘BOOKS‘ page highlighting all books discussed in the podcast library HERE. Leaders are readers.
- Leave me an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one of them.
This episode is brought to you by Federal-MogulMotorparts and Garage Gurus. With brands like Moog, Felpro, Wagner Brake, Champion, Sealed Power, FP Diesel and more, they’re the parts techs trust. For serious technical training and support – online, onsite and on-demand – Garage Gurus is everything you need to know. Find out more at fmmotorparts.com and fmgaragegurus.com