“When you take cash from the business, you are strangling cash flow, and you end up in a situation where you can’t pay your bills.”
Murray Voth, Rick White, and Bill Haas discuss the consequences of not reporting income, the importance of understanding cash flow in business, the pitfalls of tax evasion, and using personal credit cards for business expenses. It’s not just about making money, but also about managing it effectively.
- Watch Full Video
- Stealing from yourself and the consequences of not reporting income (00:01:29) Discussion on the potential consequences of not reporting income and the impact it can have on succession or eventual sale of a business.
- The importance of cash flow and its impact on paying bills (00:03:01) Exploration of how taking cash out of a business can strangle cash flow and lead to difficulty in paying bills.
- Being a role model in business and the value of ethical behavior (00:06:37) Discussion on the importance of being a role model in business, including paying for personal expenses and setting an example for employees.
- Profit and Taxes (00:10:21) The misconception of avoiding taxes in business and the challenge of having positive cash flow but negative profit.
- Personal Expenses on Business Credit Card (00:12:03) The consequences of using personal credit cards for business expenses and the tax implications of treating it as a shareholder distribution.
- The concept of profit first (00:19:06) Mention of Mike Michalowicz’s book “Profit First” and the idea of paying oneself as a business owner.
- The consequences of not reporting income (00:20:27) A story about a shop owner trying to sell their business while hiding income, and the potential legal consequences of normalizing income statements for the purpose of selling a business.
- The consequences of not reporting income (00:24:36) Discussion on the importance of planning and preparing for taxes, and the potential legal and financial consequences of not reporting income.
- The need for processes and accountability in end-of-day closing (00:27:17) Conversation about the necessity of implementing disciplined processes and accountability measures to ensure accurate end-of-day closing, including balancing cash, credit card payments, and accounts receivable.
- Using budgets and comparing to previous years (00:33:56) Exploring the use of budget and previous year’s numbers in analyzing the profit and loss statement for better understanding of the business.
- The impact of stealing from oneself on business valuation (00:37:42) The consequences of stealing from oneself on the valuation of the business when it comes to selling or succession planning.
- The consequences of not reporting income (00:40:16) Discussion on the importance of running a business independently and the negative consequences of stealing cash and not reporting income.
Thanks to our Partners Shop-Ware and Delphi Technologies
Shop-Ware: More Time. More Profit. Shop-Ware Shop Management https://getshopware.com/
Delphi Technologies: Keeping current on the latest vehicle systems and how to repair them is a must for today’s technicians. http://DelphiAftermarket.com
Connect with the Podcast
-Join our Insider List: https://remarkableresults.biz/insider
-All books mentioned on our podcasts: https://remarkableresults.biz/books
-Our Classroom page for personal or team learning: https://remarkableresults.biz/classroom
-Buy Me a Coffee: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/carm
-The Aftermarket Radio Network: https://aftermarketradionetwork.com
-Special episode collections: https://remarkableresults.biz/collections