Rachel Spencer (Shop Owner), Spencer’s Auto Repair, Krum Texas
Roddy Blaylock (Shop Foreman) Barton Automotive, Wadesville, IN
Clint White has been passionately immersed in the Automotive Industry for over 25 years. He is a Service Advisor Coach & Shop Consultant with CWI and currently holds multiple ASE certifications. He began his career as a Technician at a local two-bay shop in 1995 and over the course of the next two and a half decades honed his sales, technical, and management skills while living in Washington & S.E. Idaho. During his journey, he has never stopped learning and has been blessed to work for and with those who value education, training, and coaching. In everything he does, Clint is focused on people and excellence! Whether it be coaching & training Service Advisors to sell with passion & integrity or working directly with Shop Owners to improve team accountability and streamline process implementation, Clint’s passion is to elevate the Automotive Industry across the nation to ensure every customer consistently receives the highest level of service.
Contact Clint White HERE
Clint’s Previous episodes HERE
Key Talking Points
- Reality check– The world around us has drastically changed yet many in our industry continue to operate as though it hasn’t. Replacement vehicles are significantly overpriced and inventory is severely limited. RESULT: Customers MUST repair what they own and they know it! Technicians are in short supply and many shops are understaffed. RESULT: Same-day service is harder (or impossible) to deliver on, yet we keep trying? Parts are harder to find and slower to be delivered leaving Vendors stretched thin. RESULT: Repairs take longer, especially when we choose to wait for the best quality parts.
- Sell correctly- have properly trained service advisors. Sell with confidence that it will be pushed back, don’t make it sound negative. Make it a positive experience. Build cushion when scheduling out. Continue to provide exceptional customer service.
- It’s time to prepare for the future- things won’t “go back” to the way it was and it shouldn’t
- Scheduling is like chess, plan your moves, close the expectation gap with customers, staff, and vendors. under-promise/over-deliver
- The importance of communication between technicians and service writers-updates- everyone needs to be on the same page
- SOP’s- Develop habits and have structure
- Proper mindset when repairing vehicles- reduced/eliminated comebacks improves moral and elevates self-worth
- The Dualistic Shop: In order to schedule workflow effectively, we must view our shops as if they are actually “two in one”; operating independently but in perfect harmony while under one roof. Diagnostic Facility- all testing, inspecting, DVI’s and LOF’s occur FIRST. Bay management is maximized as cars rotate in and out once testing/inspecting is complete. Repair/Production Facility- Scheduled & Pre-Sold repairs are performed after all testing & DVI’s are completed for the day.
- Time Block Scheduling Example- Each Technician’s productivity potential and efficiency percentages must be known. Schedule each Technician at 87.5% of what they are capable of producing daily. Tech capable of 8 hours of production in an 8-hour day is 100% productive. 8 hours X .875 = 7 hours. Leaves 1 hour a day open for walk-in’s, emergencies, catch up from yesterday
Connect with the show:
Check out today’s partners:
This episode is brought to you by Shop-Ware Shop Management. It’s time to run your business at its fullest potential with the industry’s leading technology. Shop-Ware Shop Management will increase your efficiency with lightning-fast workflows, help your staff capture more sales every day, and create very happy customers who promote your business. Shops running Shop-Ware have More Time and generate More Profit—join them! Schedule a free live demonstration and find out how 30 minutes can transform your shop at getshopware.com
Are you seeing auto shops in your area get hundreds of 5-star Google reviews and are you feeling left behind because your shop only has a few?
Hey look, Broadly is your answer to getting more online reviews. With more reviews, your business will rank higher in search results — and that means more customers coming into your shop every day.
Broadly helps you automatically request reviews so that your customers can promote your business with just one click. When you immediately ask for a review after service, when the experience is still fresh in their mind, you’re more likely to get a 5-star positive review. Plus, asking for feedback makes your customer feel valued and more connected to your business. Isn’t that what you want a connected customer? See how Broadly can help grow your auto shop. Visit www.getbroadly.com/chat to learn more.