RR 013: Amy Mattinat from Auto Craftsmen
Amy Mattinat of Auto Craftsmen in Montpelier, VT had the good fortune to combine her love of cars with a career in the automotive industry. Whether going on ride-and-drives, teaching car care clinics, running her independent repair shop or working with the Car Care Council Women’s Board, she is able to combine her two passions: educating the public, especially women, about car care so they can make informed decisions and educating young women about the many career opportunities available in the auto care industry.
In 1995 she began working as the bookkeeper at Auto Craftsmen, an independent auto repair shop. After three years she was also running the front desk and marketing the business. People get very stressed out when their cars are broken and she was very good at calming them down and explaining what was wrong and what was needed to make it better in everyday language they could understand. Over the next eight years Amy took several classes, joined an automotive business coaching group and learned how to run and market a successful automotive shop. In 2004 she became a partner in the business, and five years after that she bought out her partner to run the business by herself. She has been running the shop by myself for six years.
She enjoys sharing her knowledge of car care with larger audiences through teaching car care classes in the shop, on TV and radio. Amy also writes a monthly car care newsletter, blog, and wrote a book ‘How to Buy A Great Used Car’, which she gives away for free. She was awarded the National Car Care Council Women’s Board ‘Top Female Shop Owner of the Year’ in 2012 and elected President of the Women’s Board in 2014 for a three year term.
The key to her shop’s success is they strive for excellence in everything!
Other important ingredients: having good systems, finding exceptional employees, offering top notch service and having an effective marketing plan. With the shop running so well she has had the time to develop a second business as a public speaker and private consultant for the VtSBDC [Vermont Small Business Development Center], and companies across the nation. She is considered a small business marketing expert.
She has the good fortune to engage in national automotive groups, mentor other women entering the automotive industry and participate in ride & drives. Amy also has made community contributions through The Montpelier Rotary Club and have been the coordinator for Toys for Tots for Washington County for the past ten years.
Amy loves her business and knows that teaching a class or consulting with another small business and engaging with the Car Care Council Women’s Board feeds her soul. The business gives her the freedom to travel with her husband and enjoy spending time with her 21 years old daughter.
Here are a few of Amy’s support organizations and recognitions:
* Owner / Manager of Auto Craftsmen: Auto Craftsmen is an ASE Blue Seal Shop, AAA Approved Repair, BBB Accredited & AskPatty.com certified female friendly
* Car Care Council Women’s Board
* SBN [SEMA Businesswomen’s Network]
* ASA [Automotive Service Association]
* AskPatty.com: Automotive Expert Advisory Panel & Speakers Bureau:
* WBON [Women Business Owner Networking]
* NAPW [National Association of Professional Women]
* Montpelier Rotary Club
* Advisory Board for ‘Ratchet & Wrench’ Magazine
* PDF Version of my book: How To Buy A Great Used Car.
2011: Writer/Participant: Goodyear’s new Assurance Triple Tread all-season tire.
2012: Awarded The Car Care Council Women’s Board ‘Top Female Shop Owner’
2012 – on going: Writer/Participant: Michelin Tire Influencer Community
2013: Featured in an article in Motor Magazine: http://www.motor.com/article.asp?article_ID=2058
2013 – 2015: Writer/Participant: Nokian Tyres Hakkapelitta Test Driver Program
2013: Elected President of the Car Care Council Women’s Board for a three year term.
2014 – on going: Judge for the North East AAA/Ford Automotive Skills Contest
2014: Featured Speaker: WBON: Women’s Business Owner’s Networking’s Marketing Conference
2014: Honored as a 2014 Professional Woman of the Year by the National Association of Professional Women
2015: Vermont Woman Owned Business of the Year
Multiple TV & Radio Appearances speaking about Car Care & Safety
Amy teaches workshops and gives Keynote speeches with a memorable energy, humor and impactful insight through her “nothing but the truth” delivery style. Here is a list of some of Amy’s most popular topics:
- Motivational: My Secret Sauce for Success
- How Marketing Got Me A Ride On The Good Year Blimp
- How to Provide The ‘WOW’ to your Business so You Become Well Known for Extraordinary Customer Service in your Community
- Community Serviced Based Marketing is a Win/Win/Win for Everyone Involved
- Mentoring should be one of the Main Ingredients to your Personal Success
- Key Marketing Concepts You MUST Understand to Successfully Market Your Business
- Women Car Care Clinic: Amy will come to your shop and give a Women’s Car Care Clinic with your staff, giving you a turn-key clinic you can do yourself for years to come.