Gary Keyes is the owner of E & M Motors Auto Service in Stuart, Florida.
Started at a service station. (remember them?)
Gary started as a tech, right out of high school back in the service station days in Miami. He also worked in a Toyota dealership for 10 years and decided he was smart enough to open a shop himself. He says he is still learning.
Through the value of networking, as a member of ASA, he found and purchased E & M motors. He tells the story. Networking with peers, he says, is one of the most powerful benefits of association membership. It paid off again when he hired a tech from up north who wanted to move to Florida; he tells the story of how that happened.
Trustee for AMi.
He’s also a trustee of AMi. Gary recently received his AMAM (Accredited Master Automotive Manager) certification. As a major commitment to his technician training he will close his shop during Vision High Tech training and expo, a show in Kansas City. He says the benefits of a year’s worth of high quality training at one time is a huge benefit.
Gary Keyes is an ASE Certified Master Technician Since 1978.
Here are a few questions asked of Gary Keyes:
How many customers schedule online?
Future plans. What about succession planning?
Who owns the vehicle data in the age of telematics and the connected car?
Gary has given a strong commitment to the industry:
- Member of the Board of Directors for ASA Florida- Automotive Service Association of Florida
- Past President of ASA – Automotive Service Association Miami Dade Chapter
- Past President of ASA Treasure Coast Florida chapter 2000-2004
- General Director of the Automotive Service Association -ASA national 2011-2015
- Member of the Board of Trustees for AMi – Automotive Management Institute
- Member of Federated Car Care Advisory council
- Serve on the Automotive Technology Advisory committees for both Indian River State College and Martin County High schools.
|Years in industry:||43|
|Years in business ownership:||34|
|Number of technicians:||2|
|Number of Lifts:||4|
|Number of Bays:||6|
|Other team members:||Service Advisor|
|Open:||Mon – Fri|
|Annual estimated volume:||$700K|
|Industry involvement:||ASA – AMi|
|Trainer/Coach:||AdvisorFix – Jeremy O’Neal|
|Supplier:||Federated – Delco PSC|
This episode is brought to you by Federal-Mogul Motorparts and Garage Gurus. With brands like Moog, Felpro, Wagner Brake, Champion, Sealed Power, FP Diesel and more, they’re the parts techs trust. For serious technical training and support – online, onsite and on-demand – Garage Gurus is everything you need to know. Find out more at fmmotorparts.com and fmgaragegurus.com