William J. DeBoer (Bill Jr.) is Co-owner and Vice President at DeBoer’s Auto Sales & Service.
As the company’s General Manager, Bill has been responsible for bringing innovations in daily operations to the full-service, high-tech auto repair facility for 20+ years. Bill was able to fuse his passions for technology and cars with a Certificate in Automotive Technology, followed by a B.S. in Business Management from Penn State.
He joined his family business, founded by his father three decades ago, shortly after. Today, Bill runs business development, sales, customer services, process improvement, human resources, and technician education programs.
Bill is an Accredited Automotive Manager from the Automotive Management Institute as well as a CERTIFIED MASTER DEALER® from the National Independent Automobile Dealers Association. His National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) credentials include: Master Technician, L1 Advanced Engine Performance, P2 Parts Specialist, and X1 Undercar Specialist.
In 2015, Bill started the Sussex Business Resource Center, a co-working hub, in Hamburg, NJ. The focus of the center is to create a forum for small businesses and freelancers to have a place to work as well as to collaborate together.
Take To The Sky.
Bill’s passion for vehicle technology isn’t just limited to cars. He has obtained his private pilot license from the FAA and spends his free time mastering airplane technology. When he’s not flying, Bill can be found at his local ski mountain where he’s been a volunteer alpine patroller for over a decade.
Topics covered in the interview:
- His newly implemented Car Care Club. Sells for $139 giving $400 in value.
- Bill see changes in the future where car dealers will sell direct like Tesla. He wonders if the dealer franchise model is still viable?
- He has embraced ride sharing with Lyft and Uber to support expanding concierge service and considers ride sharing an industry disruptor.
- He has the Lyft dispatch system on his desktop to support his customers’ needs along with low cost car rental and loaners if they are in the Car Care Club.
- Bill is process driven using a DVI system and says it has had a big impact to his ARO.
- Big on Social Media for a long time.
- He learned a lot from his 20 group (he considered it his masters) and is now moving to a mastermind group
|Years in industry:||24|
|Years in business ownership:||16|
|Number of technicians:||2.5|
|Number of lifts and bays:||3|
|Other team members:||Service Advisor – CSR/Social Media Manager|
|Days Open:||Mon – Sat|
|Supplier Marketing Porgram:||Technet|
|Special Accreditation’s:||Master Technician – L1 Advanced Engine Performance – P2 Parts Specialist – X1 Undercar Specialist.|
|Trainer/Coach:||Greg Goebel – (Past Member )Leedom 20 Group|
|ASE Certifications:||Service Consultant – Undercar Specialist|
|Philanthropy:||Causley Check in Angels – Hamburg Fire Department Golf Outing|
This episode is brought to you by Federal-Mogul Motorparts and Garage Gurus. With brands like Moog, Felpro, Wagner Brake, Champion, Sealed Power, FP Diesel and more, they’re the parts techs trust. For serious technical training and support – online, onsite and on-demand – Garage Gurus is everything you need to know. Find out more at fmmotorparts.com and fmgaragegurus.com