NOTE: Bill Haas presented a two-hour seminar on the Millennial generation at ASA CARS at AAPEX, in November 2017. He was so kind to share with you an abridged version. Bill is a great friend of the podcast and brings his research and wisdom to you in an episode that can become a quintessential blueprint for hiring and engaging Millennials in your business.
Bill Haas, AAM, is the owner of Haas Performance Consulting LLC, with 40 years of experience in the automotive service and repair industry. Clients have access to Bill’s solution based focus, expertise, unique perspectives and in-depth knowledge of the industry.
Bill began his career working part-time at a full-service gasoline station in Appleton, Wisconsin. His career includes time as a technician, shop owner, technical trainer and on the staff of the automotive industry’s oldest and largest association representing automotive service and collision repair businesses. While at the association Bill had the opportunity to work with all segments of the industry.
His knowledge of the industry has been shared on many occasions as he has been invited to speak at numerous industry events as well as providing testimony at hearings of the US Congress and several state legislatures on important legislation and regulation affecting the automotive industry.
Bill received the Accredited Automotive Manager (AAM) credential from the automotive management institute in 1996 and has been a member of the automotive management institute’s faculty since 2002.
Bill is also the business manager for NACAT, the North American Council of Automotive Teachers. His services include business management seminar development and delivery, keynote presentations, business consulting, performance coaching, and strategic planning facilitation.
Talking Points. (Listen to the episode to receive the essence of these high level ‘cliff’ notes):
- Millennial Expectations:
- 74% expect to get paid more
- 61% expect a flexible schedule
- 56% expect a promotion within a year
- 37% expect state of the art technology
- Seven Essential Elements to Enhance Employee Retention:
- ONE: Pay a competitive Wage
- TWO: Fair and effective management
- THREE: Benefits
- FOUR: Training
- FIVE: Empowerment
- SIX: Recognition
- SEVEN: Opportunity and challenge
- Seven Simple Questions Employees Ask Themselves
- ONE: Do you know me.
- TWO: Do you understand me?
- THREE: What can you do to help develop my skills?
- FOUR: When do you think I am worth a raise?
- FIVE: Do you care about what I think?
- SIX: Can you appreciate my effort?
- SEVEN: Am I respected?
- A leaders job isn’t to do the work, it is to provide the environment where the work is done
This episode is brought to you by Federal-MogulMotorparts and Garage Gurus. With brands like Moog, Felpro, Wagner Brake, Champion, Sealed Power, FP Diesel and more, they’re the parts techs trust. For serious technical training and support – online, onsite and on-demand – Garage Gurus is everything you need to know. Find out more at fmmotorparts.com and fmgaragegurus.com