Edwin Hazzard is a business owner, mobile diagnostic tech, automotive instructor and currently, a contributing writer for Motor Age magazine and automotive service professional magazine and has been an auto tech since 1984.
Key Talking Points:
- We interviewed at ASTE 2018 in Cary, NC where Edwin taught a few classes.
- Sees a diverse age group in class.
- Refreshing to see the commitment to give up their time to educate.
- The techs who are coming to training want more of it..
- 20 years as a mobile diagnostic tech in NY state and in South Carolina.
- Four years as a trainer for Carquest Technical Institute.
- Instructor for Ulster County in NY for high school Automotive Training.
- Moved down south, continued being mobile diagnostics tech.
- Also works part-time at a truck shop.
- Contributing writer to Motor Age.
- Spent a few years as an instructor for Carquest Technical Institute (CTI).
- Daytime training is a trend that must happen.
- ADAS is coming. Get in the know.
- Don’t ever discount the tech specs on vehicles. You’ve got to read to be able to diagnose.
- Passion for training.
- Need to enjoy what you do for a living.
- Sees diverse age group in classes.
- “Don’t update, you evaporate” – Tech’s responsibility to get trained. Need to stay ahead of new technology, improve career and increase pay.
- Cost of training is an investment.
- Mobile tech
- Needed because of lack of training/equipment in shops today.
- Techs are skipping steps.
- Will explain to tech after completed the fix on what was the problem was and how it got fixed- mini training session.
- Thanks to Edwin Hazzard for his contribution to the aftermarket’s premier podcast.
- Link to the ‘BOOKS’ page highlighting all books discussed in the podcast library HERE. Leaders are readers.
- Leave me an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one of them.
This episode is brought to you by Federal-MogulMotorparts and Garage Gurus. With brands like Moog, Felpro, Wagner Brake, Champion, Sealed Power, FP Diesel and more, they’re the parts techs trust. For serious technical training and support – online, onsite and on-demand – Garage Gurus is everything you need to know. Find out more at fmmotorparts.com and fmgaragegurus.com