Bob Greenwood, AMAM, is President and CEO of Automotive Aftermarket E-Learning Centre Ltd and has over 40 years’ experience working with Independent shops developing their business to maximize business net income.
Bob writes management articles for ASA’s magazine AutoInc and has developed live business management classes for ASA. He writes monthly management articles for Motor Age magazine in the USA and writes semi-monthly shop management articles for CARS Magazine. Bob’s previous episodes are HERE.
Eric Ziegler owns and operates EZ Diagnostic Solutions Inc in Peoria, IL. Eric specializes in module programming, driveability, electrical and network systems diagnostics. Eric has over 30 years of experience as a technician with an extensive diagnostics background.
Eric supports collision centers and auto repair shops and has one tech in his mobile diagnostic business.
Eric Ziegler is an ASE Certified Master Tech • L1 Advanced Level Diagnostic Specialist • L2 Electronic Diesel Engine Diagnostic Specialist • L3 Light-Duty Hybrid & Electric Vehicle Specialist • ASE Certified Medium Duty Truck Technician.
Eric is an ASE Recertified Advance Level L1 Master Technician who has spent a great deal of his career focusing on automotive electronics, engine management diagnostics, module programming, and network communication.
In addition to owning and operating EZDS, Eric is an accomplished automotive trainer working for Automotive Seminars and the Driveability Guys training technicians in the latest diagnostic techniques and technologies throughout the Midwest and US. He regularly attends and trains at some of the automotive industries top training events like Vision KC, ASA ATE, Automechanika, NESSARA, AV Tech Expos, KOI, Indiana ASA and the CAN Conference. Eric’s previous episodes are HERE.
Key Talking Points:
- Being business developers.Owners need to take inventory of the staff’s knowledge- where they are at, where they should be.
- Need to be a well-rounded team that trusts each other- employees having knowledge of both business and technical aspects of shop.
- “If you don’t believe in your people, why did you hire them?”
- Having a passion for the industry.Are you living your dream?
- Share your knowledge and develop others, become a mentor to the next generation.
- A passion for being a trainer can become a mentor figure when it comes from the heart.
- Who are the replacements for the current top-level industry trainers?We must start to pass this on and help the new generation.
- Eric’s story from his dad, a Caterpillar add:“In business as in life, there are no simple solutions, just intelligent choices”. -Caterpillar
- TrainingAttendance rates are down.
- Daytime training should rule so the trainer can have a life.
- One-day class should be $395-495 per person, minimum 20 per class and maximum limit.
- Some shops do not want to spend money on training, the younger generation would rather take an online class.
- People that need training the most are not at training seminars.
- Training is not an expense, it is an investment in business and investment in your future.
- Getting the most out of training classes.Study agenda ahead of time.
- Are the topics covered beneficial to your business? Confirm with the instructor.
- Great Idea! Twenty Style Group for Technicians “A Ten Group”Use Warranty Labor as a metric
- Lead my an industry instructor.
- Thanks to Bob Greenwood and Eric Ziegler for their contribution to the aftermarket’s premier podcast.
- Link to Automotive Aftermarket E-Learning Centre Ltd. HERE.
- Link to EZ Diagnostic Solutions HERE.
- Link to the ‘BOOKS‘ page highlighting all books discussed in the podcast library HERE. Leaders are readers.
- Leave me an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one of them.
Be socially involved and in touch with the show:
This episode is brought to you by Federal-MogulMotorparts and Garage Gurus. With brands like Moog, Felpro, Wagner Brake, Champion, Sealed Power, FP Diesel and more, they’re the parts techs trust. For serious technical training and support – online, onsite and on-demand – Garage Gurus is everything you need to know. Find out more at fmmotorparts.com and fmgaragegurus.com