Dr. John Passante is a legacy automotive aftermarket Human Resource professional and the President and CEO of The Organizational Development Group. He’s worked with and for some of the biggest names in our industry including Monroe/Tenneco, Delphi, Moog and Car Quest.
I’ve seen John speak at many events and he always ignites the spirit of self-development and leadership.
John works with many aftermarket organizations to increase its effectiveness by better utilizing their human capital to implement change initiatives including Management Development, Leadership Development, Personal Development, and Team Development among others. Find John’s other episodes HERE.
Paul T. McCarthy is the President of Automotive Aftermarket Suppliers Association. AASA is the voice for the automotive aftermarket supplier industry.
Paul has 23 years of experience in the automotive industry. Prior to joining MEMA, Paul led the Automotive and Industrial Products Strategy Practice at PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC). He consulted at dozens of automotive suppliers, eight of the top ten global automakers, and at private equity firms and financial institutions. His past leadership roles include heading PwC Germany’s Automotive Strategy advisory practice and leading global forecasting and analysis for a prominent vehicle forecast service, Autofacts. Paul has an MBA from Duke’s University’s Fuqua School of Business. Find Paul’s other episodes HERE.
Key Talking Points:
- Am I being heard and understood? As owner, and as employee etcTo do lists and “things” often clutter the day- but nothing happens without people
- 62% of people are not fully engaged in their job
- 70% of employees feel they never been given sign of appreciation
- No one gets to where they are in life by themselves- don’t let your ego get in the wayWhy are you in the automotive industry? Everyone has a personal story connecting them to the industry.
- Leadership is validadting the people you lead everyday- vision, values and validationLeadership is caring and showing that you care
- Match your words and actions
- Accepting people for who they are and being comfortable with yourself- sharing what you know and admitting what you don’t know
- Unlock the talent and potential in people
- Take the fear out of learning and trying something new
- Difference between motivation and movement- “Do this or I’ll fire you” vs “Let’s talk about how we can improve efficiency,” One is fear, one is inclusion
- Do you ask your employees for ideas?
- Real test of leadership is when times are tough- invoke faith in the process and the industry
- It’s all about the customer- connecting with themShow your customers you value them- ask how they are doing personally, how their family is doing etc
- Thanks to Paul McCarthy and John Passante for their contribution to the aftermarket’s premier podcast.
- Link to the ‘BOOKS‘ page highlighting all books discussed in the podcast library HERE. Leaders are readers.
- Find every podcast episode HERE.
- Every episode segmented by Series HERE.
- Key Word Search HERE.
Be socially involved and in touch with the show:
Listen for free on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spreaker, iHeart Radio, Spotify, Podchaser and many more. Mobile Listening APP’s HERE
This episode is brought to you by AAPEX, the Automotive Aftermarket Products Expo. AAPEX represents the $740 billion global automotive aftermarket industry and has everything you need to stay ahead of the curve. With 2,500 exhibiting companies, you’ll see the latest products, parts, and technologies for your business. As a result, the event also offers advanced training for shop owners, technicians, warehouse distributors (WDs) and auto parts retailers, as well as networking opportunities to grow your business. AAPEX 2020 will take place Tuesday, Nov. 3 through Thursday, Nov. 5, 2020 at the Sands Expo in Las Vegas. Therefore, more than 48,000 targeted buyers are expected to attend, and approximately 162,000 automotive aftermarket professionals. They will be from 135 countries which are projected to be in Las Vegas during AAPEX 2020. For information, visit aapexshow.com
This episode is brought to you by Shop-Ware Shop Management. It’s time to run your business at its fullest potential with the industry’s leading technology. Shop-Ware Shop Management will increase your efficiency with lightning-fast workflows, help your staff capture more sales every day, and create very happy customers who promote your business. Shops running Shop-Ware have More Time and generate More Profit—join them! Schedule a free live demonstration and find out how 30 minutes can transform your shop at shop-ware.com