Justin Barrett is the owner and operator of Barrett Automotive, Cornelia, GA. He is excited about the future of this industry with autonomous vehicles and the role the independent repair shop will play in that arena, and with the changing landscape how we are going to have to be nimble and adapt to stay relevant.
Leadership is something that is extremely challenging to him but rewarding when done right. He had some leadership failures and wins which are adding to his growth in that area. His biggest challenge right now is the same thing that he is working on and that is building a great team. In the last 18 months, he had gone from leading himself and one other to leading 6 and still adding to keep up with growth. Find out more about Justin’s episodes HERE.
Key Talking Points
- Justin’s toolbox has been at the business for 11 years, since the beginning- wants to be able to bring it home and work on the business instead of in the business
- 2 weeks of working in bays to catch everyone up turned into 6 weeks
- Saw production gaps between some of the technicians- was able to work side by side and teach younger technicians how he plans his work and gets it done. See if you can combine work orders.
- Realized the need for more SOP’s for the shop to follow for both in the bays and in the office
- Downside- losing focus on business
- Had technician from dealership lined up to come work in business to replace his spot- technician ultimately decided to stay at the dealership. When the technician told Justin he was staying, Justin left things on very good terms to keep an open door for possible future.
- A customer came in for his BMW evacuate the refrigerant so he could replace the compressor- was back in the shop within an hour and a half time. Justin and the service advisor were impressed and asked about his experience. He loves working on cars but never worked in a professional setting. Gave him an application and is currently working in the shop on a trial basis. Considering implementing an apprentice program for him.
- Thanks to Justin Barrett for his contribution to the aftermarket’s premier podcast.
- Link to the ‘BOOKS‘ page, highlighting all books discussed in the podcast library HERE. Leaders are readers.
- Listen for free on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spreaker, iHeart Radio, Spotify, Podchaser, and many more. Mobile Listening APP’s HERE
- Find every podcast episode HERE.
- Every episode is segmented by Series HERE.
- Key Word Search HERE.
Be socially involved and in touch with the show:
This episode is brought to you by AAPEX, the Automotive Aftermarket Products Expo. AAPEX represents the $740 billion global automotive aftermarket industry and has everything you need to stay ahead of the curve. The Virtual AAPEX Experience 2020 is in the record books. Virtual AAPEX lived up to presenting leading-technical and business management training from some of the industry’s best and brightest. Now set your sights on the homecoming in Las Vegas in 2021. Mark your calendar now … November 2-4, 2021, AAPEX // Now more than ever.
This episode is brought to you by Shop-Ware Shop Management. It’s time to run your business at its fullest potential with the industry’s leading technology. Shop-Ware Shop Management will increase your efficiency with lightning-fast workflows, help your staff capture more sales every day, and create very happy customers who promote your business. Shops running Shop-Ware have More Time and generate More Profit—join them! Schedule a free live demonstration and find out how 30 minutes can transform your shop at getshopware.com/carm