1 Shop, 3 Apprentices [RR 723]
For anyone who doesn’t have a working apprentice in your shop, this is your wake-up call. Roy Foster from Foster’s Automotive currently has three apprentices and you’ll get a chance to hear from all three. Two are his sons and Yes they are going through an apprentice program. What about your son or daughter. Their excitement and motivation for this industry is hard to miss.
Roy Foster, Owner, Roy Foster’s Automotive, Reno, NV
Apprentices- Son’s Logan and Zach Foster, and Randy Cowles
Key Talking Points
- Roy is committed to mentoring his employees, apprentice technicians, and local high school and college students interested in the automotive industry. In addition, he serves as a Judge for Skills USA
- Apprentices-Son Zack Foster, Son Logan Foster, and Randy Cowles (Came from Skills USA). No bad habits to correct. They perform the best DVI’s because they’re comfortable with the technology, it’s second nature. They are able to learn together and apply it. Set to graduate program this summer with their state smog license and 3 ASE certifications each.
- Changing the stereotype of “grease monkeys” with technology (tablets, scan tools, etc)
- Training- “It’s like sipping water out of a firehouse, there is a ton of information pouring in”
- Management learning- join the morning huddle, learn their expectations, big picture view of the day, customer expectations (no fingerprints, returning the vehicle clean)
Connect with the show:
Check out today’s partner: