We are at the NAPA Expo joined by the 2022 Napa Technician of the Year, Meg Lewis. She is the first female winner and is a huge advocate for automotive training and reaching the youth in schools. I’m also joined by Matt Fanslow from the Diagnosing the Aftermarket A to Z Podcast. We discuss goals, passions, work-life balance and advice to women in the industry.
Meg Lewis, BJ’s Automotive Diagnostic Center, Belfast, ME, NAPA Auto Care Technician of the Year 2022
Key Talking Points
- Advocate for automotive training- starting as young as you can with schools, especially nurturing women
- Motivation- her Dad, Meg was tinkering with cars “Tinkerbell” and she expressed interest and fascination. Natural curiosity.
- Worked previously in hospitality- learned customer service quickly
- Goal-oriented person- be a technician and own her own shop as an endgame. The succession plan will be complete in 5 years as owner.
- What do you love to do in the bays? Gets thrill from fixing something that is broken and helping customers.
- Tool share program with local BDG group
- Work-life balance- Meg’s two kids have always been supportive, brings kids to events
- Advice- surround yourself with people that support you and your passions
- Attracting new hires- incentive program with basic knowledge in automotive, providing training/tools/toolbox to get them in the door. Growing your own technician.
- ASE exams- tool for showing areas of improvement
- Being the ‘winner’ shouldn’t matter if you are a man or a woman
- Advice to women- don’t be discouraged; you will face challenges. It will make you stronger
Connect with the Podcast:
Check out today’s partner:
Learn more about NAPA AutoCare and the benefits of being part of the NAPA family by visiting www.NAPAAutoCare.com