Uncovering the Unconscious Incompetent – Chris Chesney [RR 814]
Recorded Live at the 2022 Transformers Summit with Chris Chesney, Training and Organizational Development at Repairify. Chris takes the common phrase, “I don’t know what I don’t know,” and flips it to “I don’t know THAT I don’t know.” With today’s technology expanding the way it is, there is too much information to memorize and know every piece of knowledge when it comes to car repair. How can we change the way technicians learn? How can we prove their understanding besides a certificate or course completion?
Chris Chesney, Training and Organizational Development, Repairify. Chris’ previous episodes HERE
- Adaptive learning- implemented Area 9 at Repairify. Providing a knowledge base to fill the gaps. Being thirsty for a certain piece of knowledge. Assessments happen during training. The course assesses ‘what do you know right now?”
- Uncovering the unconscious incompetent: “I don’t know THAT I don’t know.”
- “We need to build an education model that serves everybody in the industry, those that are experienced and those that are not, and everybody in between.”
- The proof of skill step. This takes you through a three-step process that’s modeled after the Federal Aviation Administration.
- Prove that you know it, teach it and they can do it
- “The opportunity to change that e-learning in such a way that it attracts people to it because they want the end game, and that’s that proof of a skill that’s not only valuable to the shop owner because they know whom they’re hiring and what they can and can’t, but more importantly for the technician, it’s something that adds value to their portfolio, that increases their value in the shop.”
- Automotive manufacturers build code in multiple silos and they all have to come together and so they aren’t elegant solutions.
- “Man built them, man will break them, man will fix them”
Connect with the Podcast:
Check out today’s partners:
Set your sights on Las Vegas in 2023. Mark your calendar now … October 31 – Nov 2, 2023, AAPEX – Now more than ever. And don’t miss the next free AAPEX webinar. Register now at AAPEXSHOW.COM
NAPA TRACS will move your shop into the SMS fast lane with onsite training and six days a week of support and local representation. Find NAPA TRACS on the Web at NAPATRACS.com