Matt Fanslow is the diagnostic tech/shop manager at Riverside Automotive in Red Wing, MN. His primary responsibilities are to diagnose driveability and electrical/electronic issues, and perform most all programming, coding, initializing, adoptions, etc. Basically, if it needs to be figured out or has wires, it goes to Matt. He’s been a tech since 1996.
Matt is also a subject matter expert for ASE and has instructed at Vision Hi-Tech Training and Expo.
Matt has participated on 18 ASE technical committees for the ASE Practice Test, A6, A7, A8, and L1 tests. He’s also done case studies for Standard Motor Products.
Fanslow’s goal is to do everything in his power to improve the overall level of professionalism within the automotive and light truck repair trade and also raise the level of its public image.
We Should Take The Same Skill Set For Automotive Diagnostics And Apply It To KPI Management
Matt Fanslow has an interesting view of analyzing KPIs. He says if your a shop owner that started as a tech, you have the foundation to take what you know about diagnostics and apply it to improve your business. Matt Fanslow’s Previous Episodes HERE.
Key Talking Points
- Shop owners and manager who were technicians should be able to best understand how to manage KPIs
- As a technician:
- You learned systems, processes and routines that made you efficient at your task.
- Systems in diagnostics help you attain your goal. No different in managing/leading a shop
- The shop management system (SMS)can be compared to a scan tool
- KPI’s are no different than scan data PIDs
- Decisions on altering KPIs performance is no different than using the data from the scan tool to do further testing to find the exact ‘culpret’ or problem with the KPI
- Using a KPIs for a shotgun diag on the business may not necessarily be right. You may need to go deeper to find the root cause of the problem.
- Are there other tests on the business that could corroborate the higher-level problem
- As you go deeper you may find deeper issues, same as in diagnosing a vehicle technical problem.
- A special thanks to Matt Fanslow for sharing his passion – For The Record.
- Books mentioned in the content library HERE
- Leave me an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one of them.
- Email Carm HERE.
This episode is brought to you by FlexCheck Auto Digital Vehicle Inspection Software.
Savvy shop owners use vehicle inspections to find additional work on a vehicle that the vehicle owner may not know is needed. The most successful shop owners fully inspect every car, every time. It benefits the vehicle owner more than the shop because most vehicle owners want their autos to be reliable.
FlexCheck Auto takes the power of a shop’s inspection process and puts it in the palm of your technician’s hand so that pictures, video, and vehicle specific notes about a vehicle’s condition can be shared quickly with vehicle owners. This simple, fully customizable system is designed to operate on any Android device. It improves technician efficiency in the bays, service writer efficiency at the counter, increases average repair order and builds trust with vehicle owners.
Today’s vehicle owners want to receive their vehicles health status electronically, this makes FlexCheck Auto the most transparent way to do sell auto repair. Try it for free for 30 days! Go to FlexCheckAuto.com to learn more.