As far back as he can remember, Joe Hanson was sweeping floors, running for parts or working in his dad’s shop, Gordie’s Garage from Roseville, MI. For the past 10 years Joe has been managing all the operations.
Joe is proud to be a part of the family business and working alongside his father, Gordie. Joe says, “Being able to help people with their vehicles and giving them a place they can trust is a great feeling.”
Under his father’s leadership he has seen what it really takes to make a business like this work. Gordie is at the business everyday, providing guidance through mentoring Joe and the team.
Joe has attended Management Success, NAPA training and most recently he is a member of the RLO 20 Group 13. He has served on the NAPA Advisory Council and attended Lawrence Tech University as well as earning the ASE Certification of Service Consultant.
Episode Talking Points:
- Technician shortage and what he has done to help change the paradigm.
- Joe’s personal disciplines to keep him focused on daily tasks.
- He’s big on systems and procedures and being paperless in a large part of his business.
- The value of his Twenty Group (RLO #13)
- Personal development of his team.
- The value that his DVI system has brought him in the last three years.
- A ‘One-of a kind’ customer service story.
- His new 2017 profit sharing program for his team.
- The reason his NAPA DC says he is one of their top customers of cabin air filters.
- What he is doing to improve customer retention.
- His look into the future.
Overview of Gordie’s
|Years in industry:||25|
|Years in business ownership:||36|
|Number of technicians:||4|
|Number of lifts:||11|
|Number of bays:||15|
|Annual estimated volume:||>$1MM|
|Supplier Marketing Program:||NAPA Auto Care|
|Business Coach:||RLO – John Wafler & Barry Barrett|
This episode is brought to you by Federal-Mogul Motorparts and Garage Gurus. With brands like Moog, Felpro, Wagner Brake, Champion, Sealed Power, FP Diesel and more, they’re the parts techs trust. For serious technical training and support – online, onsite and on-demand – Garage Gurus is everything you need to know. Find out more at fmmotorparts.com and fmgaragegurus.com