LONSDALE AUTO WORKS was founded over a decade ago by owner Scott Pelava. As an ASE-Certified Master Auto Technician, Advanced Engine Performance Specialist, Undercar Specialist & Service Consultant, he saw the need for a more modern auto service center in the fast-growing community of Lonsdale, MN
Scott’s strong background in domestic and import vehicles helped form the vision of what Lonsdale Auto Works is today. He built a reputation for quality service and fair pricing starting out with just one apprentice. As the need arose, additional technicians have joined Scott’s team to keep up with their customers need for fast, quality service.
Scott lives in Lonsdale with his wife Sandy and their son and daughter. Scott is also very active in the community. He is currently in his second term as a Lonsdale City Council Member. He has held numerous leadership positions with the Boy Scouts and has served as a director of the Lonsdale Chamber of Commerce and is currently a member of the Lonsdale Lions Club.
- Scott started the ASOG (Automotive Shop Owners Group) on Facebook because he was frustrated with a customer problem and he was looking for insight.
- For Scott, he fell into the ‘grass was greener’ syndrome when it came to starting his own shop. He soon realized he was wrong.
- He didn’t have the business skills and money management skills to own his own shop.
- As a manager, he expected that his people would act like him and work at the 110% level.
- Phone quotes is a big debate for him. He attempted not to do a quote over the phone. Some of his customers thought that it was an aggressive tactic. He was a new business in the town and it was not received well even though his coach pushed him in this direction. He tried it, but changed and is now giving quotes over the phone.
- His purpose is helping people. He says he has a hero complex.
- He is there for the people in the community.
- Scott found himself is some financial trouble and he persisted through it and came out stronger and better for it. There is no training that could have taught him how to survive a foreclosure.
This episode is brought to you by Federal-MogulMotorparts and Garage Gurus. With brands like Moog, Felpro, Wagner Brake, Champion, Sealed Power, FP Diesel and more, they’re the parts techs trust. For serious technical training and support – online, onsite and on-demand – Garage Gurus is everything you need to know. Find out more at fmmotorparts.com and fmgaragegurus.com
Download the Remarkable Results Radio listening APP for your smart device: