RR 349: Tracy Martin – Our Vehicles are Becoming Smartphones on Wheels
Tracy Martin has been involved in the automotive aftermarket for over 40 years. He is the author of six, Motor Books Workshop Series book including: “How to Diagnose and Repair Automotive Electrical Systems,” “Motorcycle Electrical Systems Troubleshooting and Repair” and “How to Use Automotive Diagnostic Scanners.” In addition to books, Tracy has written hundreds of articles and product reviews for Powersports magazines including Motorcycle Consumer News, Road Bike, American Iron, Dealer News and others. He also writes for Motor Age and Aviation Aftermarket Defense magazines. Though long-lapsed, Tracy holds an A.S.E. Master Technician Certification. Listen to Tracy’s previous episodes HERE.
Key Talking Points:
- When will cars turn into a smartphone on wheels?
- Over the next 10 years will slowly morph to a smartphone. Using data, accessing the internet etc.
- Cars will be able to use software to communicate with each other- will be a critical piece for car accident prevention and in case of car accident what exactly happened
- Cybersecurity hacking concerns?
- Many incidences of factory systems hacked
- Repair shops at risk just as much as dealerships
- Example of paying with a credit card through car would put you at risk for credit scammers
- Shops may need to hire professional cyber security companies to keep shop protected
- 100 million lines of code now, 500 million lines within 10 years running entire car. Additional risk exposure.
- Techs will evolve just like the cars
- Will need to be trained for higher level cars
- TSA Mantra
- Terrorists only have to get it right once, we have to get it right all the time- airport security scanners
- Relates to connected cars- need encryption protocols to keep cars safe
Be socially involved and in touch with the show:
Facebook Twitter Linked In Email Events Speaking
This episode is brought to you by Federal-MogulMotorparts and Garage Gurus. With brands like Moog, Felpro, Wagner Brake, Champion, Sealed Power, FP Diesel and more, they’re the parts techs trust. For serious technical training and support – online, onsite and on-demand – Garage Gurus is everything you need to know. Find out more at fmmotorparts.com and fmgaragegurus.com