Kirk Richardson is a young and successful entrepreneur. Born into a blue-collar, hard-working family, he was a below-average student in high school and college. At the age of 22, he left school and started his first business. He bought his first three-bay shop at the age of 24. Seven years later he bought his second shop, South Street Auto Care in Rochester, MI.
Richardson really prides himself on his ability to create a family culture within his businesses. The culture is a blend of hard work, accountability, fun, and hi-jinx, which combine to make loyal and dedicated coworkers. Kirk loves business and people in general and will talk for hours about business! Listen to Kirk’s previous episodes HERE.
Key Talking Points:
- Striving for greatness and setting bar too high for small 3 bay shop
- Expected employees to have an owner mindset, needed to adjust in order to grow business
- As the owner you need to continue to make moves to stay out of day to day business, components of business is your staff- how do you manage/give incentive/encourage/discipline them based on size of shop
- Leader of business- make sure you are doing what is good for the most amount of people in business, staff entrusts owner to create and maintain a positive work environment
- Adjust insurance packages/life insurance/retirement contribution/IRA to 401K as business grows
- Surround yourself with people that can counteract your weaknesses
- Will you be happier with the existing 800K shop vs 1M shop?
- Thanks to Kirk Richardson for his contribution to the aftermarket’s premier podcast.
- Link to the ‘BOOKS‘ page highlighting all books discussed in the podcast library HERE. Leaders are readers.
- Listen for free on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spreaker, iHeart Radio, Spotify, Podchaser and many more. Mobile Listening APP’s HERE
- Find every podcast episode HERE.
- Every episode segmented by Series HERE.
- Key Word Search HERE.
- Love what we do? Buy Carm a cup of coffee HERE.
Be socially involved and in touch with the show:
Since 1989 TRACS has been the industry’s leading shop management system. And in the last 30 years it’s gotten better and better. Today TRACS Enterprise offers even more of the features AutoCare Center owners want—things like a powerful interactive scheduling calendar, faster and streamlined work flow, plus streamlined parts ordering and purchasing options. And there’s more—Punch-out to Mitchell ProDemand, mobile VIN capture, and multi-shop capabilities. That means you can count on TRACS Enterprise to help drive your success today and well into the future.
Learn more about TRACS Enterprise and the hundreds of other benefits the NAPA family has to offer. Talk with your servicing NAPA store or visit www.NAPAAutoCare.com.