Chris Cloutier is co-owner of Golden Rule Auto Care in Dallas, Texas, and CEO of Auto Tex Me. He spent many years in the software industry developing solutions for companies like Southwest Airlines and Wyndham Intl. He’s worked for companies that understood the marriage of service and software and have applied it effectively. Chris has his ASE C1: Automobile Service Consultant Certification Test (C1). He brings the business side to the business and his brother Pat brings the Braun. Chris is also a musician. Hear Chris’s previous episodes HERE.
Jay Mikulovich is the founder and CEO of Revival Technology LLC. Technology has been a passion in Jay’s life from early childhood, all started by taking electronics apart and developed into coding and programming. After graduating from university with degrees in computer science and business administration, Jay, fueled by his entrepreneurial spirit, formed Revival Technology in 2006. He strongly believes when knowledge meets passion, then there are no limits on what you can achieve. For as of technology being a part of the knowledge Jay looks at it as a tool that can revive businesses and bring them to a new level of success. Hear Jayy’s previous episodes HERE.
Key talking Points:
- Cybersecurity- has to be dealt with at a small business level, not just big businesses.
- Policies and procedures in place to protect software, hardware, customer data, credit card data and vehicle data, contacts, even certain keyboards can be recorded.
- Make sure you have segmented networks- customer network, main network, wireless device network (different lanes)
- Encrypted https “packets”
- Passwords- do not reuse the same passwords; every service needs a unique and different password. A mix of 13 different characters, not only 8. 8 character passwords can be hacked within an hour. If you use the same password over and over again, then hackers will try to use it for multiple accounts. Browsers will also save passwords, but it is not encrypted. Use professional encrypted software to manage your passwords.
- All of your computers should have virus protection with regular updates.
- Opening random pdf’s and attachments in emails that look suspicious can be a virus. Educate and train your employees about ‘clickbait.’ Are you expecting this email? Are you expecting this attachment? An email will often be worded to be very urgent.
- Your Verizon/switch/ISP firewall is not going to be enough to protect a business.
- As a business, if you get hacked, it is required by law to report it
- Get cybersecurity insurance
- Ransomware- cyber hackers want money in order to ‘remove’ ransomware or get data back
- $20,000 ransom for getting data back is considered cheap
- If data is cloud-based, it’ll cost you time and some money to reinstall the software, but if a car gets infected with ransomware (for example, brakes don’t work anymore), then the customer cannot drive it, and it won’t be a simple fix.
- Autotex.me website HERE.
- Revival Technology Website HERE.
- Thanks to Chris Cloutier and Jay Mikulovich for their contribution to the aftermarket’s premier podcast.
- Link to the ‘BOOKS‘ page, highlighting all books discussed in the podcast library HERE. Leaders are readers.
- Listen for free on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spreaker, iHeart Radio, Spotify, Podchaser, and many more. Mobile Listening APP’s HERE
- Find every podcast episode HERE.
- Every episode is segmented by Series HERE.
- Key Word Search HERE.
Gold Certification recognizes top tier NAPA AutoCares with a high level of participation in the AutoCare program. The program was built by AutoCare Centers for AutoCare Centers to provide a consistent consumer experience, maximize technology leverage, and reward NAPA’s most committed partners. In other words, Gold Certified AutoCare Centers are the standard bearers for the AutoCare brand nationwide. Simply put, the Gold Certified NAPA AutoCare program, powered by your local shop brand, will separate you from the rest helping you boost your bay counts and your average repair orders.
Learn more about NAPA AutoCare, Gold Certification, and the hundreds of other benefits NAPA offers. visit the NAPA Benefits Center, at www.napabenefitscenter.com or call the NAPA Benefits Center at 844-627-2123.