Aaron Lowe, Senior Vice President, Regulatory and Government Affairs. Find Aaron’s other episodes HERE.
Key Talking Points
- Google vs Oracle
- Google was using some of the application program interface (API) for Oracle for phones, Oracle sued over copyright infringement.
- Aftermarket automotive concern- power to original equipment manufacturer if they limited access to their software so they wouldn’t be able to build compatible parts- cars are software driven
- Auto Care Association filed an amicus brief on Jan 13th, 2020 urging Supreme Court not to permit copyright protection
- The Supreme Court on April 6 ruled that: “Google’s copying of the Java SE API, which included only those lines of code that were needed to allow programmers to put their accrued talents to work in a new and transformative program, was a fair use of that material as a matter of law.”
- The Supreme Court ruled copying API to build compatible parts is fair use, overturning a lower court decision in favor of Oracle that Google had violated Oracle’s copyright of its API
- Copyright law- right to repair software driven technology
- Aftermarket call to action
- Providing information/concerns/issues- helps better defend the aftermarket with the more information
- Networking in the software copyright realm benefits all efforts
- Thanks to Aaron Lowe for his contribution to the aftermarket’s premier podcast.
- Link to the ‘BOOKS‘ page, highlighting all books discussed in the podcast library HERE. Leaders are readers.
- Listen for free on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spreaker, iHeart Radio, Spotify, Podchaser, and many more. Mobile Listening APP’s HERE
- Find every podcast episode HERE.
- Every episode is segmented by Series HERE.
- Key Word Search HERE.
Be socially involved and in touch with the show:
This episode is brought to you by AAPEX, the Automotive Aftermarket Products Expo. AAPEX represents the $740 billion global automotive aftermarket industry and has everything you need to stay ahead of the curve. The Virtual AAPEX Experience 2020 is in the record books. Virtual AAPEX lived up to presenting leading-technical and business management training from some of the industry’s best and brightest. Now set your sights on the homecoming in Las Vegas in 2021. Mark your calendar now … November 2-4, 2021, AAPEX // Now more than ever.
This episode is brought to you by Shop-Ware Shop Management. It’s time to run your business at its fullest potential with the industry’s leading technology. Shop-Ware Shop Management will increase your efficiency with lightning-fast workflows, help your staff capture more sales every day, and create very happy customers who promote your business. Shops running Shop-Ware have More Time and generate More Profit—join them! Schedule a free live demonstration and find out how 30 minutes can transform your shop at getshopware.com/carm