Bill Hanvey, President and CEO of the Auto Care Association. Bill is engaging the automotive aftermarket to get involved in letting your legislators know the issue about data. Your help is needed to help in amending the right to repair legislation. Learn everything you can about this fight to amend the right to repair legislation. Ownership of Vehicle Telematic Data Must Flow to the Vehicle Owner.
Bill leads the strategic direction of The Auto Care Association’s 3,000 members and 150,000 companies representing automotive manufacturers, distributors, and service providers. Find Bill’s other episodes HERE.
Aaron Lowe, Senior Vice President, Regulatory and Government Affairs. Find Aaron’s other episodes HERE.
Key Talking Points
- Right to Repair – Consumers Rights – Getting huge attention from Federal Government
- An important message to the industry
- The entire industry must be engaged in this opportunity and message as it relates to the Right to Repair
- Looking for Federal Legislation same as Massachusetts Access to Data
- Massesusets victory passed 75%-25%
- OE’s spent $25M to fight the vote and they filed a legal action in Federal Court
- A conclusion may be coming in the next few weeks
- Aaron testified on our behalf
- Steve Wozniak, co-founder of Apple had a positive comment on the Right to Repair Executive Order
- Farmers have the same issue because John Deere is the only one who can fix their tractors
- 70% of the repairs of out of warranty vehicles are serviced by the auto care industry
- Industry call to action:
- Get your federal legislators to visit your business
- Ask Aaron Lowe to support this effort for a local visit. Email him at email@example.com
- We need to develop relationships with our legislators
- Invite them, via the connection to Aaron Lowe above, to your facility. Aaron’s team will help you get in touch with their representatives
- Show off your shop and explain why the right to repair is critically important to sustain our $400B industry.
- Introduce your legislator to your people show off your business
- Link mentioned for AAPEX Award Nominations HERE.
- Thanks to Bill Hanvey and Aaron Lowe for their contribution to the aftermarket’s premier podcast.
- Link to the ‘BOOKS‘ page, highlighting all books discussed in the podcast library HERE. Leaders are readers.
- Listen for free on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spreaker, iHeart Radio, Spotify, Podchaser, and many more. Mobile Listening APP’s HERE
- Find every podcast episode HERE.
- Every episode is segmented by Series HERE.
- Key Word Search HERE.
Be socially involved and in touch with the show:
This episode is brought to you by AAPEX, the Automotive Aftermarket Products Expo. AAPEX represents the $740 billion global automotive aftermarket industry and has everything you need to stay ahead of the curve. The Virtual AAPEX Experience 2020 is in the record books. Virtual AAPEX lived up to presenting leading-technical and business management training from some of the industry’s best and brightest. Now set your sights on the homecoming in Las Vegas in 2021. Mark your calendar now … November 2-4, 2021, AAPEX // Now more than ever.
This episode is brought to you by Shop-Ware Shop Management. It’s time to run your business at its fullest potential with the industry’s leading technology. Shop-Ware Shop Management will increase your efficiency with lightning-fast workflows, help your staff capture more sales every day, and create very happy customers who promote your business. Shops running Shop-Ware have More Time and generate More Profit—join them! Schedule a free live demonstration and find out how 30 minutes can transform your shop at getshopware.com/carm