Scott Brown is an ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician with over three and a half decades of professional service industry experience. He and his wife own Connie & Dick’s Service Center Inc., a 57-year-old independent shop in Southern California.
With a strong focus on engine performance and electronics, Scott began collaborating with other industry professionals, online, beginning in the early 90’s. Since 1995, he has been an instrumental resource in the development of the largest online community of automotive service professionals, the International Automotive Technicians Network — iATN where he now serves as company president. Additionally, he serves on the NASTF Board of Directors and is a member of the following associations: ASCCA, CAT, ETI, I-CAR, & SAE.
- The seeds on how iATN was born. ‘What’s a modem?’ (Great story). It was pre-internet and 22 years young now.
- Scott’s first meeting with Brent Black founder of Auto Tech Net.
- The story on how Auto Tech Net became iATN.
- Continues to spend time with his team in the shop to keep his eye on the technical challenges technicians face every day.
- Scott respects the work necessary to perform great customer service.
- Scott has seen great iATN member career development over the years.
- Techs realized that they are not alone in finding solutions.
- New features are there to help the iATN members.
- iATN is more a business to business platform than a social platform. They were the Facebook for techs before Facebook became a word.
- A shop management forum for shop owners and an industries issues forum to help solve some of the issues faced each day.
- Technical problem resolution happens in a collaborative space in the knowledge base and is for premium users.
- Wave form library is very popular and the tech help area questions and replies get an average nine responses.
- iATN will help to enhance your professionalism in the challenges you face today and in the future.
- Mobile APP has some great features that can scan the vehicle VIN and search for solutions.
- They are working on a new iATN 2.0 release to bring a greater web experience on smart devices.
- Educators have a special channel for students while they are learning.
- iATN has a new ‘Review’ space for products and services their members use. Factual data and the user can comment like an Amazon review.
- There is a Shop Finder Tool to help customers find a shop in an area that they are moving to or for a child that is going to college in a new town.
This episode is brought to you by Federal-Mogul Motorparts and Garage Gurus. With brands like Moog, Felpro, Wagner Brake, Champion, Sealed Power, FP Diesel and more, they’re the parts techs trust. For serious technical training and support – online, onsite and on-demand – Garage Gurus is everything you need to know. Find out more at fmmotorparts.com and fmgaragegurus.co