Your Learning Curve Never Sounded So Good
- Matt Fanslow is the diagnostic tech/shop manager at Riverside Automotive in Red Wing, MN
- Eric Ziegler a Mobile Diagnostician owner of EZ Diagnostic Solutions Inc in Peoria, IL. Also, an instructor for Automotive Seminars and The Driveability Guys
- Rob Rowsell, shop owner, owner of Family Auto Service a four shop group in the La Mesa, CA area. Author of the book ‘Addicted To Life’, How I Went from Homeless to Extraordinary Success and Happiness in a Short Period of Time. Find a link to Rob’s book on the book page on the website HERE.
- Tanner Brandt, owner Tanner’s auto Clinic LLC, Mobile diagnostics and programming as well as teach for CTI
Key Talking Points
- The panel consists of two former addict and two ‘normies’. The ‘normies’ have a close friend or family member that is in recovery and has had an impact on them.
- Myth: People who struggle with addition come from a bad or broken home and have no support.
- Truth: Until an addict says ‘Done’ no one can help them. Your heart may say you are done but your actions must demonstrate it.
- Addiction can come in many forms:
- Video Games
- We worry about it when it becomes difficult to perform our daily functions.
- Look at science. It starts uniting things.
- How you are wired
- Drug testing for your people or new recruits is dependent on state laws.
- Gray areas in states where marijuana is legal.
- You can put up a sign that says ‘We are a drug-free workplace.’
- An addict’s descent into relapse occurs long before they take in the substance or activity. Talk to people to learn the signals of relapse.
- Usually, performance at work suffers and that is a signal.
- You must call them on it. If you ignore it will not go away. It is their addiction.
- You must protect the business.
- The success rate for addicts beyond the first time is not good. The success rate can be less than 10%.
- Faith-based success rate is over 80%.
- There is a 12 step program at Vision KC.
- There are many programs out there to help. If an addict plays the denial card there is no hope.
- Having the right culture in the company will help a recovering addict.
- The Christmas party is not at a bar.
- Do not ridicule the addict
- Opioid addiction can start with a prescription for pain because of an accident or the like
- If you are wired for an addition your pain killer can set you off.
- We are in an opioid epidemic in our country.
- Opioid addicts have treatment that others don’t. They can go on an alternative drug to get their life back, their job back, their family back.
- Our reward system is designed, in our brains, to give us big rewards, a dose of dopamine. We can find ourselves finding alternative ways to provide us the dose of dopamine.
- If you expose yourself you will become; In Rob’s book he talks about ‘The Law of Exposure’. It is as reliable as the Law of Gravity
- If you hang around bank robbers you will become a bank robber. If you hang around God-fearing men, you’ll become a god fearing man.
- Don’t risk a relapse by hanging out in the wrong environment.
- The way out is you need to believe in yourself.
- Myth: People believe that there is a moral shortcoming because you are an addict.
- Addiction is a family disease.
- The negative energy that destroys an addict’s life can be used to focus on recovery.
- By healing the addict the family heals.
- There is more going on than just a lack of willpower or corruption of a person.
- If you had an employee leave work to go for cancer treatment would your perception of the person going for addiction treatment be the same?
- The hard part of an addict is living life without.
- 10% is the drinking – 90% is the thinking.
- Mental illness, driving people to self medicate.
- A special thanks to Matt Fanslow, Rob Rowsell, Tanner Brandt and Eric Ziegler for their contribution to the aftermarket.
- Books Page HERE
- Leave me an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one of them.
This episode is brought to you by Jasper Engines & Transmissions. When a car’s engine or transmission fails, it’s not the end of the road. A remanufactured drivetrain product from Jasper Engines & Transmissions will give your car a new lease on life. JASPER has over 2000 Associates, three manufacturing facilities, two distribution centers, and 45 branch offices across the country. They’re all working to produce, transport and deliver the perfect product. That’s what they do best… keep customers happy. Visit jasperengines.com
RepairPal. Many of our industry’s high-quality shops have gone through an evaluation with an independent automotive team to ensure their techs are trained, they use the right tools, and their customers are happy. In fact, over 2,200 repair shops have met these requirements, have become RepairPal Certified and are getting new customers every month.
Why has the number of RepairPal Certified shops grown so much? These shops are proud to have passed the certification and value the new customers they’re getting, both from the 5 million monthly visitors to RepairPal.com and their partnerships with CarMax and USAA. Certified shops can cancel at any time, so RepairPal works hard to produce value for them. Learn more at repairpal.com/shops to learn more.
Subscribe to a mobile listening app HERE.