Matt Fanslow is the diagnostic tech/shop manager at Riverside Automotive in Red Wing, MN. His primary responsibilities are to diagnose driveability and electrical/electronic issues, and perform most all programming, coding, initializing, adoptions, etc. Basically, if it needs to be figured out or has wires, it goes to Matt. He’s been a tech since 1996.
Matt is also a subject matter expert for ASE and has instructed at Vision Hi-Tech Training and Expo.
Matt has participated on 18 ASE technical committees for the ASE Practice Test, A6, A7, A8, and L1 tests. He’s also done case studies for Standard Motor Products.
Fanslow’s goal is to do everything in his power to improve the overall level of professionalism within the automotive and light truck repair trade and also raise the level of its public image. Matt Fanslow’s Previous Episodes HERE.
Ever watch a reality TV show that covers a business make-over or purchase? Feel like you empathize with the owner? Do you know deep in your heart that what you are doing isn’t working? Ever feel you are digging a hole and it is getting deeper? Do you know specificially which challenges you need to overcome first? Where do you start?… People, Processes or Product. Catch the banter between Matt Fanslow and me – For The Record.
Key Talking Points:
- Ever find yourself yelling at the TV because the owners don’t get it
- No commonsense
- Passion to play their hobby but not run a business
- Sometimes you can see yourself in those episodes and can relate to the problems you have
- Use these shows to make a pivot in your life. Learn from them.
- Don’t go into denial if you see yourself
- Many people (employees of the business) who have given up re-invent themselves because they see a re-newed business and culture
- Matt sees an aftermarket parallel to the restaurant business
- The kitchen brigade is like our auto technicians. They are generating repaired vehicles
- Communication breakdown and quality drops
- Attention to detail of the entire experience
- Leadership is a major reason businesses flourish
- A special thanks to Matt Fanslow for his contribution to the aftermarket.
- Books mentioned in the content library HERE
- Leave me an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one of them.
- Email Carm HERE.
Subscribe to a free mobile listening app HERE.
This episode is brought to you by FlexCheck Auto Digital Vehicle Inspection Software.
Savvy shop owners use vehicle inspections to find additional work on a vehicle that the vehicle owner may not know is needed. The most successful shop owners fully inspect every car, every time. It benefits the vehicle owner more than the shop because most vehicle owners want their autos to be reliable.
FlexCheck Auto takes the power of a shop’s inspection process and puts it in the palm of your technician’s hand so that pictures, video, and vehicle specific notes about a vehicle’s condition can be shared quickly with vehicle owners. It improves technician efficiency in the bays, service writer efficiency at the counter, increases average repair order and builds trust with vehicle owners.
Today’s vehicle owners want to receive their vehicles health status electronically, this makes FlexCheck Auto the most transparent way to do sell auto repair. Try it for free for 30 days! Go to FlexCheckAuto.com to learn more.