No one can do everything, but everyone can do something. Raising the image and perception of our industry starts with getting involved with schools. If you’re involved in your local community college or high school, I would like to put out a challenge that you also visit the elementary and middle schools. The students are buzzing with energy, questions, and already have a leg up on technology. If you’re not involved with any schools, what’s stopping you? You can’t afford to not put your time into students, teachers, and school counselors. The impressions you leave on the youth are critical to creating opportunities for our industry’s future.
Watch the Episode on YouTube
Key Talking Points
- To connect these newest minds to our trades really does begin at the 5th-grade level AND at the dinner table or other places where the discussion needs to be about the opportunities that the service trades are no longer a plan “B”.
- The newer generation truly has a “leg up” as they are ready and are very quick and techy, which then really leaves the “on the job” nuts and bolts experience. This is where an Apprenticeship program is a must for the automotive industry and its future.
- Craig has 5 technicians from the apprentice program
- Vehicles are more advanced than the Apollo spaceship
- Make sure your presentation includes many questions. It keeps them engaged, and you will learn from their perspective.
- Tell stories, lots of stories. Don’t go into statistics.
- You must get to the teachers and parents
- Working with your hands and mind is rewarding.
- Solving tough problems builds character.
- You can’t afford to not put your time into students and the community- the impressions you leave are critical
- Raise your hand for any volunteering opportunity
Connect with the Podcast
Check out today’s partners:
Shop-Ware: More Time. More Profit. Shop-Ware Shop Management getshopware.com
Delphi Technologies: Keeping current on the latest vehicle systems and how to repair them is a must for today’s technicians. DelphiAftermarket.com