What are the challenges of making dispatch work in the automotive aftermarket industry? Our guests share their experiences with dispatch in their companies, emphasizing communication, flexibility, and teamwork. They also discuss the qualities of a good dispatcher and the need for policies and procedures in unexpected events. They stress the importance of simplifying technical information and building trust with customers. The episode concludes with a discussion of the interaction between dispatchers, customers, and technicians and the immense responsibility that comes with the job.
Nick Howard, GM at Reggie’s Motor Works.
Steve Braun, Director of Sales & Customer Service, Ulmer’s Auto Care, Cincinnati, OH.
- Watch Video Episode HERE
- The Art and Science of Dispatching [RR 849]
- Dispatch roles (00:03:13) The different roles involved in dispatch, such as parts person and dispatcher, and how they are separate in their companies.
- Creating an app for dispatch (00:04:39) The idea of creating an app for dispatch training and how it could help service professionals learn how to handle different situations.
- Dispatching in a Lean and Mean Shop (00:06:33) Dispatching in a two-store building with no parts people
- The Art and Science of Dispatching (00:08:05) The importance of having a culture and team strengths to support dispatching, as well as the balance between innate abilities and training.
- Finding the Ideal Candidate for Dispatching (00:10:12) The DISC test and the ideal candidate for dispatching, including the importance of customer service, rules, influence, and decision-making skills.
- Dispatch policies (00:12:53) The importance of having policies in place for dispatch, including what happens if the person in charge is unavailable.
- Handling roadblocks (00:14:22) How to handle unexpected issues that arise during the day, including adapting and finding solutions.
- Team dispatching (00:19:42) The idea of having everyone on the team responsible for dispatching, with clear goals and good communication.
- Teams Philosophy (00:20:22) The importance of having a team philosophy and how it affects efficiency and dispatch.
- Customer Experience Officer (00:22:21) The concept of having a CXO (Customer Experience Officer) in a business and how it can improve the customer experience. They suggest giving every team member the title of Chief Experience Officer.
- Dispatch and Diagnoses (00:25:15) The challenges of dispatching cars for diagnoses and repairs, and how they have adapted their dispatch process to improve efficiency. They also talk about the importance of setting expectations with customers.
- The line between scheduling and dispatch (00:28:27) The relationship between scheduling and dispatch, and how they need to work together to ensure a technician’s successful day.
- Scheduling and dispatch goals (00:30:34) The goals for scheduling and dispatch, and how they need to work together to achieve them.
- Dispatch as a career path (00:32:55) How dispatch can be a career path opportunity, and how it can be a fun and rewarding experience.
- Communication is Key (00:35:46) The importance of communication in the automotive industry
- Flexibility is Essential (00:36:35) The ability to pivot quickly and adapt to changes is highlighted as a key factor in improving productivity in the automotive industry.
- Try it and Learn (00:37:58) The panel encourage shop owners to try implementing dispatch and learn from their mistakes, emphasizing the importance of feedback and communication in the learning process.
Thanks to our Partners Shop-Ware and Delphi Technologies
Shop-Ware: More Time. More Profit. Shop-Ware Shop Management getshopware.com
Delphi Technologies: Keeping current on the latest vehicle systems and how to repair them is a must for today’s technicians. DelphiAftermarket.com
Connect with the Podcast
-Join our Insider List: https://remarkableresults.biz/insider
-All books mentioned on our podcasts: https://remarkableresults.biz/books
-Our Classroom page for personal or team learning: https://remarkableresults.biz/classroom
-Buy Me a Coffee: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/carm
-The Aftermarket Radio Network: https://aftermarketradionetwork.com
-Special episode collections: https://remarkableresults.biz/collections