Chris Cloutier is co-owner of Golden Rule Auto Care in Dallas Texas and CEO of Auto Tex. Me. He spent many years in the software industry developing solutions for companies like Southwest Airlines, and Wyndham Intl. He’s worked for companies that understood the marriage of service and software, and have applied it in an effective way. Chris has his ASE C1: Automobile Service Consultant Certification Test (C1). He brings the business side to the business and his brother Pat brings the Braun. Chris is also a musician. Hear Chris’s previous episodes HERE. Autotex.me website HERE.
Craig O’Neill an integrator and trainer at Autotex.me. Though he initially began college seeking a degree in history education and was heavily considering missionary aviation, it was obvious to him that his primary calling was to raise a family. Setting aside his full-time education, Craig committed himself to scale the 3rd generation auto repair business to be successful in these exciting but challenging times.
An ASE certified technician and service consultant, he is visibly excited about the technological advances the industry is seeing and frequently can be heard speaking to clients sharing his enthusiasm.
Craig is committed to elevating the professional image of the automotive service community and consistently looking for ways to communicate with bright young people regarding the opportunities that exist in the automotive service profession. Listen to Craig’s previous episodes HERE.
Key Talking Points:
- Why does presentation abilities matter for shop owners? Aren’t they presenting small “speeches” to their teams every week?
- We live and die by communication
- Three out of four people have a fear of speaking (glossophobia)
- It holds people back
- How could all team members in a shop benefit
- Leadership skills
- Communication and LISTENING skills (Advisors to customers, advisors to techs, techs to advisors… etc etc…)
- Teaches how to give feedback to others effectively
- Teaches you how to receive critique effectively
- Shop owners can send their staff as a part of their learning and professional development culture. After all, aren’t we supposed to be cultivating the next leaders of our business?
- Learn the power of the pause
- Toastmasters connect your shop to your local community. Get out there and humanize our profession! We have things to say that deserves to be heard.
- It’s a LOT of fun!
- It’s the most affordable professional development you’re not taking advantage of that is available right NOW!
- You are timed so you get to your point. Don’t keep rolling over your point. Make it and be done
- Learn to take criticism of your communication style. Feedback is important
- Learn to pause
- Learn vocal inflection
- Table Topics
- Elevator speech
- We’ll discuss how a toastmasters meeting might look, and some of the roles people take each meeting
- We are always waiting to say something next and not actively listening to the speaker
- Practice makes perfect
- Practice a presentation
- Know your material
- Professional sports athletes practice 99% of the time and play 1%
- We play 99% of the time and practice 1% of the time
- Training is critical
- Craig’s challenge to the industry to get our trainers to embrace toastmasters to help them in their engagement and delivery. He and Chris believe we can all become better presenters
- Raise the bar on the quality of presentation skills
- Craig recommends going to an ‘all-comers’ toastmasters club
- It opens your perspective to many other professionals and you can learn and share with
- Provide toastmasters to your team
- Leaders are readers. Go to Books Page HERE
- Thanks to Craig O’Neill and Chris Cloutier for their contribution to the aftermarket’s premier podcast.
- Link to the ‘BOOKS‘ page highlighting all books discussed in the podcast library HERE. Leaders are readers.
- Love what we do, buy a cup of coffee HERE.
Be socially involved and in touch with the show:
Listen for free on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spreaker, iHeart Radio, Spotify, Podchaser and many more. Mobile Listening APP’s HERE
This episode is brought to you by AAPEX, the Automotive Aftermarket Products Expo. AAPEX represents the $740 billion global automotive aftermarket industry and has everything you need to stay ahead of the curve. With 2,500 exhibiting companies, you’ll see the latest products, parts, and technologies for your business. As a result, the event also offers advanced training for shop owners, technicians, warehouse distributors (WDs) and auto parts retailers, as well as networking opportunities to grow your business. AAPEX 2020 will take place Tuesday, Nov. 3 through Thursday, Nov. 5, 2020 at the Sands Expo in Las Vegas. Therefore, more than 48,000 targeted buyers are expected to attend, and approximately 162,000 automotive aftermarket professionals. They will be from 135 countries which are projected to be in Las Vegas during AAPEX 2020. For information, visit aapexshow.com
This episode is brought to you by Shop-Ware Shop Management. It’s time to run your business at its fullest potential with the industry’s leading technology. Shop-Ware Shop Management will increase your efficiency with lightning-fast workflows, help your staff capture more sales every day, and create very happy customers who promote your business. Shops running Shop-Ware have More Time and generate More Profit—join them! Schedule a free live demonstration and find out how 30 minutes can transform your shop at shop-ware.com