THA 041: The Value of Knowing Your Customers Observable Behavior (DISC) | AMi Credit
Helping automotive aftermarket professionals improve; one lesson at a time.
Learn from your industry peers in a round-table forum. Get new ideas, perspectives, trends, insights, best-practices and expertise from aftermarket professionals.
The only weekly forum for aftermarket professionals bringing fresh and innovative discussion to inspire and grow individuals and companies.
Watch like a DOCUMENTARY … Learn like a SEMINAR.
The Academy Panel:
Kim Auernheimer, AAM is the Co-Owner & Business Manager of CS Automotive in Brentwood, Tennessee. CS Automotive was opened in October of 2006 in the back of a warehouse and now they call a 6,400 square foot, 10-bay shop home. Prior to joining her husband Rob in the business on a full-time basis, Kim had a career in Commercial Real Estate and Property Management. In July of 2011, she stepped out from the background of the business and joined her husband in the venture of creating an industry-leading standout.
Kim continuously seeks out training for her and her entire team and put the teachings to use. Her belief in industry education has been a large influence on how much success and growth they have had over last few years. She has a passion to improve the reputation of the Automotive Repair industry working alongside other shop owners and industry leaders to improve the overall experience of the customer from the moment they make that first call to the shop until they drive their car off the lot instilling transparency and developing trust during the entire process.
In 2017, she obtained her Accredited Automotive Manager (AAM) designation. This is a result of 120-credit hours of course work in several core competencies including leadership, marketing, customer relations, accounting, and several other areas of automotive repair business management.Kim and Rob are proud parents of two amazing young-adult children. Their son Jacob recently graduated from The University of Tennessee in Knoxville with a degree in Accounting and just two months ago, he married his beautiful high school sweetheart Nicole. Their daughter Ema is a Political Science and Pre-law student at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee. Listen to Kim’s Episodes HERE.
Shari Pheasant is “The Queen of Horse Power” is a DISC Certified Master Behavior Analyst, Entrepreneur, Speaker, Business Innovator, and Coach. She recently returned from a book tour for her book “25 Car Care Tips For Women” that made it to Amazon’s International Best Seller List June 2017! She is a member of Women in Auto Care and owns a service shop with her husband Jeff. Shari is the recipient of the Business Innovator Award at the Business Expert Forum at Harvard in July 2017. She is the creator of Driven from Within, Horse Powered, and Barn Boot Camp; three programs that develop human capital potential for business teams and individuals. Listen to Shari’s Episodes HERE.
Jeremy O’Neal President and lead sales trainer for Advisorfix, began his career as a Service Advisor and moved into Service Management at the dealership level for VW, Audi, and Porsche. He consistently placed in the top 3% of Service Advisors across the nation. With a passion for helping others, Jeremy started coaching Service Advisors in 2007. Jeremy also owns an independent auto repair shop, Freedom Automotive in Hesperia, CA. Jeremy is a DISC Certified Master Behavioral Analyst. You can hear Jeremy’s Episodes HERE.
Episode Talking Points:
- NOTICE: Do not get hung up on the Acronyms, Lingo or Labels discussed here. Understanding observable behaviors will make you a better salesperson, leader, spouse, and friend.
- DISC is a universal language of observable human behavior.
- There are four basic behavior styles.
- We all have at least a small portion of each – usually.
- One style is our go-to or prominent style.
- You can have a blend of styles with cross-influence.
- DISC is a segmented:
- D characterize’s Dominant traits (Commander, Director).
- I characterize’s an Influencer trait (Expresser, Socializer).
- S characterize’s a person who is Steady. (A Relator, Reflector).
- C characterize’s Conformity (An Achiever a Thinker).
- Know your own DISC style.
- DISC is a tool for today’s marketplace.
- You need to have your customers conversation with then not yours.
- Communicate with others the way they want to be communicated with.
- Know their DISC profile.
- Easy to do with observable behaviors.
- Communicate with others the way they want to be communicated with.
- Can also be used for hiring practices to integrate an individual into the team that has the tendencies for the growth of the team.
- Service advisors will value understanding how DISC integrates with their relationship building.
- There are styles that are more suited to be at the front desk, in the shop and at the parts counter.
- The cars they drive tell a lot about the customer.
- If it is another family members vehicle, listen to them; are they complaining/apologizing for it being a mess? Are they frustrated that the vehicle isn’t maintained properly?
- These are all clues to their strongest behavioral style.
- DISC is the beginning of the five behavioral sciences.
- Driving Forces (Why you do what you do).
- EQ (Emotional Quotient).
- Competencies (Superior Trait Make-Up of an Individual).
- Acumen (How you see the world & how you see yourself in the world).
- Communication is 80% of misunderstanding and misdirected teams at work.
- You must learn to communicate in the way your client, direct report or peer will hear it.
- How we communicate has to do with the meaning of words.
- Know your perceptions. We see ourselves a certain way and others see us differently.
- Others don’t know us like we do.
- Look to yourself first. Understand yourself first. Then understand others.
- It is so important to know who you are so with every interaction you understand how you receive the information and how you need to communicate.
- We all have traits of the behavior spectrum. So are more prominent than others.
Jeremy O’Neal’s Site HERE. Listen to the episode to understand his offer.
Download for Carm Capriotto’s Chart on How To Communicate With the Four Basic Types HERE.
Download of Shari Pheasant Handout HERE.
Tony Robins Site Mentioned HERE.
Be socially involved and in touch with the show:
Facebook Twitter Linked In Email
This episode is brought to you by Jasper Engines & Transmissions. When a car’s engine or transmission fails, it’s not the end of the road. A remanufactured drivetrain product from Jasper Engines & Transmissions will give your car a new lease on life. JASPER has over 2000 Associates, three manufacturing facilities, two distribution centers and 45 branch offices across the country. They’re all working to produce, transport and deliver the perfect product. That’s what they do best… keep customers happy. Visit jasperengines.com