Previous roundtable discussions:
Matt Fanslow is the diagnostic tech/shop manager at Riverside Automotive in Red Wing, MN. His primary responsibilities are to diagnose driveability and electrical/electronic issues, and perform most all programming, coding, initializing, adaptions, etc. Basically, if it needs to be figured out or has wires, it goes to Matt. He’s been a tech since 1996.
Matt is also a subject matter expert for ASE and has instructed at Vision Hi-Tech Training and Expo.
Matt has participated on 18 ASE technical committees for the ASE Practice Test, A6, A7, A8, and L1 tests. He’s also done case studies for Standard Motor Products.
Fanslow’s goal is to do everything in his power to improve the overall level of professionalism within the automotive and light truck repair trade and also raise the level of its public image. Hear Matt in these Remarkable Results Radio Episodes HERE.
Bob Heipp works for Mobile Auto Solutions, LLC as lead tech and Technician Manager in the Chicago metropolitan area and northwest Indiana.
Having accepted a job that required passing an IM240 emission class, he was introduced to new alternatives of diagnostic testing. This spurred a quest for learning.
Bob believes his desire to learn is what opened doors to meeting technicians around the world. Hoping to help so others could have the same opportunities, he partnered with ASA-IL and initiated the CAN Conference after one of his favorite conferences (the Linder Conference) was no longer being presented. He considers these experiences have led him to the opportunity to work for Mobile Auto Solutions. Bob is also a dedicated Vision High Tech Training and Expo attendee. Hear Bob in his own interview and the roundtables HERE.
Peter Landry is an ASE L1 Master Automotive Technician from Brookfield, WI. Peter has a strong automotive background in electronics, network, and driveability diagnostics. His prowess for fixing problem vehicles and passion for staying up on emerging technologies led him to form Landry’s Mobile Diagnostics, a mobile diagnostics and module programming business servicing the Milwaukee Metro area. He recently sold his business to Mobile Auto Solutions and now works for MAS. Hear Peter’s interviews HERE.
In 2009 Tom Meyers was selected as the NAPA/ASE Technician of the Year for the Chicagoland area. This is a first for a non-owner technician. He is an ASE Master Certified Tech with L1 Certification and works on everything from computer diagnostics and engine performance to engine installations and rebuilding differentials. In the past 40 years, he has always focused on repair quality and the latest automotive technology.
Tom recently left the industry to work on forklifts. He came on the podcast to discuss his reasons and to let the industry know that these are competitive jobs that we need to be aware of. Listen to Tom’s previous episodes HERE.
- Special guest Tom Myers (episode 158) left the industry. Still is a technician working for a forklift repair company.
- Tom’s suggestions to keep techs:
- Reward your techs who are putting in the effort for being committed to your business
- Pay for great training and don’t leave it up to the technician.
- He went to Vision every year on his own dime. The shop should have paid or met him halfway.
- He gets $300/year for tool purchases and $150/year for boot allowance.
- Paid uniforms and cleaning.
- Benefits designed for family time and retirement.
- Tom is concerned that shops are not taking on the tough diagnostic work because they don’t understand how to charge for the testing time. (See Town Hall Academy on this subject. THA 049)
- Their opinions on Social Groups and Social Media
- Augmented Reality.Future Think!
- What are the qualities that a shop owner looks for in a technician that would move him to invest in a comprehensive training program?
- Pay programs for technicians
This episode is brought to you by Federal-MogulMotorparts and Garage Gurus. With brands like Moog, Felpro, Wagner Brake, Champion, Sealed Power, FP Diesel and more, they’re the parts techs trust. For serious technical training and support – online, onsite and on-demand – Garage Gurus is everything you need to know. Find out more at fmmotorparts.com and fmgaragegurus.com
Download the Remarkable Results Radio listening APP for your smart device: