Previous roundtable discussions:
Matt Fanslow is the diagnostic tech/shop manager at Riverside Automotive in Red Wing, MN. His primary responsibilities are to diagnose driveability and electrical/electronic issues, and perform most all programming, coding, initializing, adaptions, etc. Basically, if it needs to be figured out or has wires, it goes to Matt. He’s been a tech since 1996.
Matt is also a subject matter expert for ASE and has instructed at Vision Hi-Tech Training and Expo.
Matt has participated on 18 ASE technical committees for the ASE Practice Test, A6, A7, A8, and L1 tests. He’s also done case studies for Standard Motor Products.
Fanslow’s goal is to do everything in his power to improve the overall level of professionalism within the automotive and light truck repair trade and also raise the level of its public image. Hear Matt in these Remarkable Results Radio Episodes HERE.
Bob Heipp works for Mobile Auto Solutions, LLC as lead tech and Technician Manager in the Chicago metropolitan area and northwest Indiana.
Having accepted a job that required passing an IM240 emission class, he was introduced to new alternatives for diagnostic testing. This spurred a quest for learning.
Bob believes his desire to learn is what opened doors to meeting technicians around the world. Hoping to help so others could have the same opportunities, he partnered with ASA-IL and initiated the CAN Conference after one of his favorite conferences (the Linder Conference) was no longer being presented. He considers these experiences have led him to the opportunity to work for Mobile Auto Solutions. Bob is also a dedicated Vision High Tech Training and Expo attendee. Hear Bob in his own interview and the roundtables HERE.
Peter Landry is an ASE L1 Master Automotive Technician from Brookfield, WI. Peter has a strong automotive background in electronics, network, and driveability diagnostics. His prowess for fixing problem vehicles and passion for staying up on emerging technologies led him to form Landry’s Mobile Diagnostics, a mobile diagnostics and module programming business servicing the Milwaukee Metro area. He recently sold his business to Mobile Auto Solutions and now works for MAS. Hear Peter’s interviews HERE.
Key Talking Points:
- Value of training, networking, daytime training.
- The shop needs to be profitable enough to pay for training and techs wages to find full benefit from daytime training.
- The technician needs to show his worth to the shop owner in order to warrant an investment of training.
- Should the investment in training be considered being put on the Balance Sheet as an Asset?
- Technicians that take their education serious and skills set and want to expand on them and further will make the shop money and will need to be compensated justly.
- Up to the front of the house to bill properly
- When challenges come your way, sometimes you have to back away from the problem to see it clearly.
- Build your network of technicians for support up to and including Facebook groups
- Mentoring under a Master Technician can be an advantage and disadvantage.
- What is a true Master Technician? They always go back to the basics. An example is basic electrical class. Always looking for a different way to look at things.
- Everyone in the trade must consider and keep in mind that the word fundamental does not mean easy. So, taking a fundamental class may not necessarily be easy.
- Specialization. Where is it heading according to the panel?
- Play to your strengths
- System specialization could be a possibility
- Alignment, diagnostics, Air Conditioning, etc.
- The shop should use their technicians’ talent and bring in the work they excel at.
This episode is brought to you by Federal-MogulMotorparts and Garage Gurus. With brands like Moog, Felpro, Wagner Brake, Champion, Sealed Power, FP Diesel and more, they’re the parts techs trust. For serious technical training and support – online, onsite and on-demand – Garage Gurus is everything you need to know. Find out more at fmmotorparts.com and fmgaragegurus.com
Download the Remarkable Results Radio listening APP for your smart device: