What is Service-EDU?
I cover training in a big way on the podcast. When I discovered the newly created Service-EDU, a brand new partnership with four of our industries premiere manufacturers; Gates, MAHLE, Timken and NGK, I had to know more. You now have a chance to hear the story on how Service-EDU was created and why it is an important advanced training program for the industry. Listen to Bobby Basset (Gates), Ted Hughes (MAHLE), and Tom Marx(Marx Group) speak on how they pooled their resources and created a day and half training seminar they are taking on the road. The kick off was in Avondale, AZ in late April 2016. (Note: The above pictures from left to right are my guests: Bobby Basset , Ted Hughes, Tom Marx)
- Get a first hand, behind the scenes view of how these industry giants got together to build an effective way to bring advanced product specific training to shops and technicians.
- Learn about their goals of this training. First to bring practical information on how to diagnose failures and repair them and to bring effective training to shops and technicians.
- Find out what the techs and shop owners say about the type of training they prefer.
- Understand the format with a night before evening networking opportunity with a keynote speaker and then day long training. (A Friday/Saturday)
- Discover that doing the job right the first time must be one of the strongest goals of every service professional and this training supports the means to that end.
- Listen as Bobby Basset so nicely says, “If our student can take a few nuggets away that will help to reduce down time, increase profits, reduce warranties and labor claims, then we’ve done our job.”
Listen to the experts. My guests are:
Bobby Bassett Manager of Training NA Gates Corporation
Bobby began his career in the Automotive Aftermarket in 1978. His experience includes sales in both automotive, heavy duty with emphasis in hydraulics. He works closely with technicians, High School and Community College automotive programs and customers, educating them on problematic areas that create comebacks and un-needed warranties associated with the Accessory Belt Drive, Timing and Coolant System. Bobby is certified to teach the Challenger methodology of selling. Bobby believes industry involvement is important to the health of the automotive industry and participates as a member of the Auto Care Educational Committee, ASE Board of Directors in addition to SkillsUSA Automotive Service Technology Technical Committee.
Ted Hughes, AAP, head of marketing at MAHLE
Ted leads the marketing department with responsibility for promotions, public relations, advertising, motorsports programs and the advancement of all electronic and Web-based activities. He recently celebrated 16 years with the company. He volunteers his time on multiple industry committees in the auto care industry and was the 2014 recipient of the Auto International Association (AIA) “Young Executive of the Year” award, and received the Auto Care Association Impact Award (4 for the Future) in 2015. Hughes believes this industry has experienced many changes throughout the past 15 years; unprecedented challenges for today’s manufacturers provide new opportunities for success. Presenting fresh ideas that challenge others to look at things in a different way is core to his style.
Tom Marx, MAAP President /CEO of The Marx Group
The Marx Group, a full service marketing communications agency that specializes in the automotive and heavy duty aftermarket. Tom brings a depth of marketing and business knowledge from his 30+ years’ experience in the automotive and heavy duty aftermarkets.
At the age of 17, he started his first business in Southern California, selling racing components by mail order. Tom was a professional race car driver in IMSA, Trans Am and FIA for many years. He is a graduate from the School of Journalism at Cal State University at Northridge and in October 1997, relocated his business to the San Francisco Bay Area where he currently resides. He is an avid sportsman, active in snow and water skiing, hiking, backpacking and biking.
Professionally, Tom is an active member of SEMA, ACA, AASA, APRA, AASA, ACC, MEMA, past vice chair of the ACA Marketing Communications and Member Relations Committee and past president of the Automotive Communications Council.
Who are the trainers for Service-EDU?
Keep in mind these trainers (see below) are a brand all of themselves. They are well known throughout the industry and always have full classes when they come to teach. There are no commercials for these brands, just high quality information that provides the knowledge, tips, tricks, and more that help the entire industry rise. They’ve got an attractive price at $49 for an evening keynote and day long training.
- Bobby Bassett, Manager of Training NA Gates training on “Accessory Belt Drive and Coolant System”
- Bill McKnight, Marketing Team Leader and Training for MAHLE with “Gaskets: More Than Meets the Eye”
- Michael Durocher, Technical Training Specialist for NGK training on “Spark Plug and Ignition Advancements”
- Rick Domin, Training and product support manager for Timken presenting “Bearings and Hub Assemblies”
This episode is brought to you by Federal-Mogul Motorparts and Garage Gurus. With brands like Moog, Felpro, Wagner Brake, Champion, Sealed Power, FP Diesel and more, they’re the parts techs trust. For serious technical training and support – online, onsite and on-demand – Garage Gurus is everything you need to know. Find out more at fmmotorparts.com and fmgaragegurus.com