Judi and Dana Haglin owners of Haglin Automotive Inc. is a full-service auto repair shop in Boulder, CO specializing in preventative maintenance and vehicle repair. They’ve been leaders in the Boulder auto repair industry since 1981.
Judi and Dana have a super working relationship and they explain how that happens. There are certain rules that create harmony for them. They pay attention to details, share a core value; ‘Everyone Speaks’ that is part of their strong business culture.
They received Motor Age’s Top Shop honor in 2015. Key to their success is they know their roles and together make a strong business owner. They say, “Fixing cars is secondary, we are primarily solving our customer’s problems”.
Dana was honored as the ASE / Car Quest Tech-Net Master Technician of the year in 2013. Haglin’s has been recognized by the Automotive Training Institute (ATI) with many awards.
They are cutting edge with process and technology. Dana looks for every training opportunity he can find for his technicians and Judi zero’s in on Marketing. She love marketing but only if she can justify a strong ROI.
They love to find new ideas through networking and do it through their business coach, ATI, and through ASA Colorado and the Boulder Chapter.
Giving back to the community is extremely important to the Haglin’s. Over the years they have donated several vehicles to Justice High School for the highest achiever, and each spring have sponsored an Erie High School student to participate in the Hugh O’Brian Youth Leadership Camp.
Over the years, as their reputation for excellence grew and their customer base expanded, they moved in and out of several locations in Boulder. At their current location they have 12 bays, 11 lifts, an alignment rack and a cozy customer lounge.
- Uses Disney’s principles in their business
- We care about our teams input
- Dana takes care of the technician team.
- Marketing is Judi’s Passion and keeps up with the ever changing challenge to find the right blend.
- Looking at the difference between leader led and on-line courses in their training mix.
- They got married, graduated college and started the business in the same year.
- Just added Podium to their marketing efforts to help get 5 Star reviews.
- They get about 10-12 new customers a week based on their Google Reviews
- She sees Facebook as a conversation and will start
- Will create her private you tube page to hold her video SOP manual on-line. (A new idea)
- Looking at a telematic solution to engage their customer.
- Secret on how they made sure they limited their conflicts as husband and wife shop owners. Their personalities are compatible.
- Dana has been mentoring young technicians for years.
- They dive in the Caribbean to relieve stress and Danna has his pilot license.
- Active in the Boulder Chapter of ASA
Haglin Business Profile:
|Years in industry:||40|
|Years in business ownership:||36|
|Number of technicians:||5|
|Number of Lifts/Bays:||12|
|Annual estimated volume:||$1.75MM|
|Business Culture:||It’s like coming home every day for both our employees and our customers.|
|Average Technician Training Hours per Year:||40|
|Service Advisor Training Hours per Year:||40|
|% Training Type- Leader Led/On-Line/Lunch Learn Training:||75/15/10|
|ASE Blue Seal Shop:||Yes|
|ASE Technician Certifications:||100% of their technicians have at least one ASE certifications|
|Industry involvement:||ASA and ASE|
|Certifications:||Dana has his ASE Master Technician and Service Consultant Cerfitications|
|Other honors:||Dana and Judi are AMAM form AMi|
|Biggest Challenge:||Changes in Technology|
|Supplier Marketing Program:||Tech-Net|
This episode is brought to you by Federal-Mogul Motorparts and Garage Gurus. With brands like Moog, Felpro, Wagner Brake, Champion, Sealed Power, FP Diesel and more, they’re the parts techs trust. For serious technical training and support – online, onsite and on-demand – Garage Gurus is everything you need to know. Find out more at fmmotorparts.com and fmgaragegurus.com