Episode RR 440
Amending Legislation for Telematic Data Ownership
My guest is Bill Hanvey, President and CEO of the Auto Care Association. Bill is engaging the automotive aftermarket to get involved in letting your legislators know the issue about data. Your help is needed to help in amending the right to repair legislation. Learn everything you can about this fight to amend the right to repair legislation. Ownership of Vehicle Telematic Data Must Flow to the Vehicle Owner.
Do you know that a car collects data as you drive? By 2022, 87% of new vehicles will be transmitting telematic data wirelessly. But who owns the data? The car manufacturer does. Without access to data, the independent service professional will not be able to get specific diagnostic data from the vehicle.
Bill Hanvey is the President and CEO of the Auto Care Association. Bll leads the strategic direction of The Auto Care Association’s 3,000 members and 150,000 companies representing automotive manufacturers, distributors, and service providers.
Key Talking Points:
- Vehicle data ownership
- Most people don’t know their car is transmitting data- have no control of data
- People who are made aware want to have control of data and be activist
- Telematic data- transmitted wirelessly, by the year 2022 87% of new vehicles will be transmitting wirelessly
- Right to Repair- passed in 2013, make nationwide program. Same access as the dealership. Telematic data left out. Have legislation to amend the Right to Repair Act to include telematics data. Pursuing ballot question for voters to vote if legislation doesn’t go through.
- Hoping by Fall of 2020 legislation or ballot will be passed
- 66 sponsors of the bill, need 100 to be sure it will be passed
- Get involved
- Let your legislators know the issue of data
- Create a relationship with your congressperson- have them visit your business to hear your story
- Autocare.org – government affairs section, telematics petition
- Yourcaryourdata.org – download information to educate employees and customers
- Educational campaign- activate industry
- Tariffs-tax on the American consumer
- Will affect consumer
- Consolidation of industry
- Suppliers and distribution- service provider next
- Opportunity for buyer and seller of businesses
- Thanks to Bill Hanvey for his contribution to the aftermarket’s premier podcast.
- Link to Autocare Website HERE.
- Link to Your Car Your Data Website HERE.
- Link to the ‘BOOKS‘ page highlighting all books discussed in the podcast library HERE. Leaders are readers.
- Leave me an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one of them.
Subscribe to a mobile listening app HERE.
This episode is brought to you by AAPEX, the Automotive Aftermarket Products Expo. AAPEX represents the $740 billion global automotive aftermarket industry and has everything you need to stay ahead of the curve. With 2,500 exhibiting companies, you’ll see the latest products, parts, and technologies for your business. The event also offers advanced training for shop owners, technicians, warehouse distributors (WDs) and auto parts retailers, as well as networking opportunities to grow your business. AAPEX 2019 will take place Tuesday, Nov. 5 through Thursday, Nov. 7, at the Sands Expo in Las Vegas. More than 48,000 targeted buyers are expected to attend, and approximately 162,000 automotive aftermarket professionals from 135 countries are projected to be in Las Vegas during AAPEX 2019. For information, visit aapexshow.com