Jamie Carlson is an Owner at Ervine’s Auto Repair and Grand Rapids Hybrid. Look for Jamie’s other episodes HERE.
Rachael Wacha, City Auto Repair, Gainsville, FL. Rachael Wacha was born and raised in Gainesville, FL. Her career started in the Salon industry, then to writing home and auto insurance coverage. In 2010, she started working for her father at City Auto Repair, Inc. It didn’t take her long to fall in love with the business.
By 2012, she had doubled sales in a year. In February 2013 Rachael was written about in a nationwide automotive magazine. Since then, Rachael went from managing the business to owning it in 2016. City Auto Repair is a AAA approved repair facility. Rachael is currently the President of the Automotive Service Association in the Gainesville/Ocala area.
Rachael is extremely passionate about educating women in automotive repair, which is why she started hosting free Car Care Clinics, “Lipstick and Dipsticks” for women. Look for Rachael’s other episodes HERE.
Emily Chung is a proud mom of two energetic boys. She owns and operates AutoNiche, a family-friendly auto repair shop in Markham. She is a licensed Automotive Service Technician, and Automotive Writer with various publications. She also teaches in the Automotive Business School of Canada at Georgian College. Emily holds a degree from the University of Waterloo in Psychology and Business, and her previous jobs include Psychometrist and Human Resources Associate.
She has appeared on various media including Breakfast Television, Cityline, and the Marilyn Denis Show. She is passionate about her work; together with her staff, AutoNiche’s purpose is to bring better communication and client service to the auto repair experience. Check Emily’s previous episodes HERE.
Key Talking Points:
- Marketing to women Clean environment when customers walk in- first impression, cleanliness is a part of sales, also for your employees
- Adding cleanliness and masculinity into business
- Attracts the customer (male or female) that will be the most satisfied with the quality of service you offer
- Inspire women to post on google reviews
- Market yourself if women business owner
- Free car care clinics for men/ women- checking fluids, changing tires etc. Educate and empower them.
- Advice for margins/cost management and becoming profitable Find a coach/smart group/ 20 group/networking group
- When you become profitable you are able to pay technicians more
- Not getting hung up on “list price” from part supplier
- Margins are going to be all different dependent on your area- goal is to keep and gain customer, sometimes have to adjust margins
- Value of part that is charged- warranty and safety
- Business during the pandemicContinue to wipe down cars and steering wheels
- Shopware-contactless business, digital communication
- Touchless doesn’t mean voiceless or that you aren’t going to build a relationship with them
- Changing the hiring process using Zoom Zoom interview with everyone in shop- takes about 2 hours
- Allows other employees to have say in interviewing process
- Can also do work trials or video resumes
- Thanks to Jamie Carlson, Rachael Wacha, and Emily Chung for their contribution to the aftermarket’s premier podcast.
- Link to the ‘BOOKS‘ page highlighting all books discussed in the podcast library HERE. Leaders are readers.
- Listen for free on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spreaker, iHeart Radio, Spotify, Podchaser and many more. Mobile Listening APP’s HERE
- Find every podcast episode HERE.
- Every episode segmented by Series HERE.
- Key Word Search HERE.
Be socially involved and in touch with the show:
The NAPA Smart Sign, previously known as Digital Menu Board, gives your shop a professional, state-of-the-art look and feel. It’s a great way to educate and inform your customers about needed repairs and service, plus increase awareness of your current promotions. NAPA AutoCare Center that have installed a Digital Menu Board found one out of five consumers ask for a repair or service they’ve seen on the board. Targeted promotions resulted in double-digit increases. You choose the content from a library of auto care service and repair topics. The latest NAPA national promotions are downloaded to you automatically. And with the Digital Menu Board it’s easy to change your services, prices, and video content anytime you’d like. Talk to your servicing NAPA store to find out more.
Learn more about NAPA Smart Sign and the hundreds of other benefits NAPA offers. visit the NAPA Benefits Center, at www.napabenefitscenter.com or call the NAPA Benefits Center at 844-627-2123.