Matt Fanslow is the diagnostic tech/shop manager at Riverside Automotive in Red Wing, MN. His primary responsibilities are to diagnose driveability and electrical/electronic issues, and perform most all programming, coding, initializing, adoptions, etc. Basically, if it needs to be figured out or has wires, it goes to Matt. He’s been a tech since 1996. Matt is also a subject matter expert for ASE and has instructed at Vision Hi-Tech Training and Expo. Matt has participated on 18 ASE technical committees for the ASE Practice Test, A6, A7, A8, and L1 tests. He’s also done case studies for Standard Motor Products. Fanslow’s goal is to do everything in his power to improve the overall level of professionalism within the automotive and light truck repair trade and also raise the level of its public image. Matt Fanslow’s Previous Episodes HERE.
Keith Perkins has been in the industry over 15 years, serving in various capacities, including; engine machinist and assembler, dyno tuner, diagnostic technician, instructor, technical information specialist, and many more roles through the years. He currently operates L1 Automotive Diagnostics and Programming LLC a mobile module programming, diagnostic, immobilizer solution company, Keith also operates the L1 Automotive Training company that offers advanced level automotive training on-site and online at www.L1Training.com. Keith holds the title of ASE Master Certified L1 Technician, holding ASE certifications: A1-A9, L1, L2, L3, X1, P2 and various other industry certifications, he also serves as a Subject Matter Expert for ASE. Listen to Keith’s previous episode HERE
Bill Nalu is President of Interstate Auto Care in Madison Heights, Michigan and has been in business for 30 years. He collaborates with industry professionals, in building today’s “high-tech/old-fashioned” customer service system. Bill has been a big contributor to the podcast and he currently serves on several industries and educational advisory councils including AutoValue/Bumper to Bumper, Dorman Industries, and Cardone. Listen to Bill’s previous episodes HERE.
Key Talking Points
- Part One HERE
- When acquiring hand tools you have to decide on choices of aftermarket or OE specific scan tools
- There are a lot of myths in which scan tool (OE/Aftermarket) will do a great job
- Scan tool is a weird term to use. There is a PC and an interface that is part of the system. Can call it a diagnostic platform
- Many don’t know that they can buy factory diagnostic tools. 80% of the aftermarket do not know that they can buy OE Scan tools from the dealer. Get part number. Force the dealer to research and get you the tool. They will tell you that you can’t buy it. Don’t give up. You can get NASTF involved. Many of these tools are not intuitive to get going. Keith Perkins can help and also Issac Rodell. Many challenges to get an OE diag platform to get up and running, you may need some help. Many OE devices are the only way you can talk to the car
- Thanks to Matt Fanslow, Keith Perkins and Bill Nalu for their contribution to the aftermarket’s premier podcast.
- Link to the ‘BOOKS‘ page, highlighting all books discussed in the podcast library HERE. Leaders are readers.
- Listen for free on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spreaker, iHeart Radio, Spotify, Podchaser, and many more. Mobile Listening APP’s HERE
- Find every podcast episode HERE.
- Every episode is segmented by Series HERE.
- Key Word Search HERE.
Be socially involved and in touch with the show:
The NAPA Smart Sign, previously known as Digital Menu Board, gives your shop a professional, state-of-the-art look and feel. It’s a great way to educate and inform your customers about needed repairs and service, plus increase awareness of your current promotions. NAPA AutoCare Center that have installed a Digital Menu Board found one out of five consumers ask for a repair or service they’ve seen on the board. Targeted promotions resulted in double-digit increases. You choose the content from a library of auto care service and repair topics. The latest NAPA national promotions are downloaded to you automatically. And with the Digital Menu Board it’s easy to change your services, prices, and video content anytime you’d like. Talk to your servicing NAPA store to find out more.