Tom Ham, with the help of his wife Deb, is the creator and owner of Automotive Management Network a 12,000 plus member website dedicated to the exchange of vehicle service management information. Tom got his start in the auto service industry pumping gas in the late ’60s. Tom and his wife operate Auto Centric, an import specialty shop in Grand Rapids, MI. Tom and Deb have five children including two sons and a daughter who served in the Iraq War as U.S. Marines. He writes extensively on industry topics. Discover Tom’s previous episodes HERE.
Key Talking Points:
- Attend training
- Get ASE Certified
- Improve your computer skills
- Find the tips and tricks to make the computer work for you
- Improve your basic language skills
- Commit to quit smoking
- Get help for substance abuse
- Come to work with plenty of energy
- Follow policies and procedures
- Complete tasks 100%. Help me not be a micromanager
- Go the extra mile
- Use good judgment
- Avoid getting a criminal record
- Be financially responsible
- Look your best. Your appearance is the price for admission to the professional world.
- Maintain a clean drivers license.
- Show up every day on time. Ideally a little early.
- Use good manners
- Become better at problem-solving
- Constantly improve your diagnostic ability.
- Do a fantastic job with vehicle inspections
- Manage your time well
- Prevent comebacks. Double check
- Attention to the details.
- Produce hours.
- Skip the side work.
- Be clean. Work Clean. Like a formula one shop.
- Prevent waste.
- Take care of our equipment and facility.
- Be cheerful. Smile. Be customer friendly. Be Flexible
- Be honest.
- Be mature.
- Listen to criticism.
- Provide constructive input to me.
- Show respect. If you want respect, show it to others.
- A special thanks to Tom Ham for sharing his passion – For The Record.
- Books mentioned in the content library HERE
- Leave me an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one of them.
- Email Carm HERE.
This episode is brought to you by FlexCheck Auto Digital Vehicle Inspection Software.
Savvy shop owners use vehicle inspections to find additional work on a vehicle that the vehicle owner may not know is needed. The most successful shop owners fully inspect every car, every time. It benefits the vehicle owner more than the shop because most vehicle owners want their autos to be reliable.
FlexCheck Auto takes the power of a shop’s inspection process and puts it in the palm of your technician’s hand so that pictures, video and vehicle specific notes about a vehicle’s condition can be shared quickly with vehicle owners. This simple, fully customizable system is designed to operate on any Android device. It improves technician efficiency in the bays, service writer efficiency at the counter, increases average repair order and builds trust with vehicle owners.
Today’s vehicle owners want to receive their vehicles health status electronically, this makes FlexCheck Auto the most transparent way to do sell auto repair. Try it for free for 30 days! Go to FlexCheckAuto.com to learn more.
Download the Remarkable Results Radio listening APP for your smart device: