Bryan Kelley, owner of Valley Automotive Electric, Covington, WA, and Chairman of ASA Northwest. Brian’s previous episodes HERE.
Key Talking Points:
- Understand what it is you’re looking for and be able to name the behaviors and qualities you are looking for
- Think of hiring like going on a first date- know what you’re looking for
- Tailor questions based on what you are specifically looking for in a candidate
- Bryan would rather work short-handed with good team members than hire the wrong candidate just to fill the spot
- Ask yourself “Do they fit the culture of the organization?”
- “Humble, Hungry, Smart” from “The Ideal Team Player” by Patrick Lencioni
- Smart- people smart
- Rockstar or superstar?
- Rockstar- they want to stay in the position they’re in
- Superstar- want to rise to continue to grow in the company
- If you truly care about people, they tend to care about you in return
- Look for indicators during the hiring process- ask key questions and dive into answers
- Bring in other employees to gauge candidate together- each takes notes and compare after
- Explain the hiring process on a first phone call- phone screen, in-person interview, second interview/working interview, then profile assessment of the candidate. After that take them outside of the business to see how they really are. Reference checks.
- Post job description/job details with advertisement- should sound personable and engaging
- “The Culture Code” by Daniel Coyle
- What Bryan offers in terms of pay is based on what he sees- not set in stone, based on what he expects. Reevaluate after 90 days
- Thanks to Bryan Kelley for his contribution to the aftermarket’s premier podcast.
- Link to the ‘BOOKS‘ page, highlighting all books discussed in the podcast library HERE. Leaders are readers.
- Listen for free on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spreaker, iHeart Radio, Spotify, Podchaser, and many more. Mobile Listening APP’s HERE
- Find every podcast episode HERE.
- Every episode is segmented by Series HERE.
- Key Word Search HERE.
Since 1989 TRACS has been the industry’s leading shop management system. And in the last 30 years it’s gotten better and better. Today TRACS Enterprise offers even more of the features AutoCare Center owners want—things like a powerful interactive scheduling calendar, faster and streamlined work flow, plus streamlined parts ordering and purchasing options. And there’s more—Punch-out to Mitchell ProDemand, mobile VIN capture, and multi-shop capabilities. That means you can count on TRACS Enterprise to help drive your success today and well into the future.
Learn more about TRACS Enterprise and the hundreds of other benefits the NAPA family has to offer. Visit the NAPA Benefits Center, at www.napabenefitscenter.com or call the NAPA Benefits Center at 844-627-2123.