Women of the Year Awards 2021 [RR 709]
Auto Care Woman of Excellence
This award is presented annually to a woman who is a Women in Auto Care member and who has provided recent outstanding contributions to the auto care industry while demonstrating role model behaviors, leadership and commitment to the advancement of women. She is considered a rising star in the industry.
2021 Winner: Anne Coffin, Director of Information Technology, Aftermarket Auto Parts Alliance, Inc
Auto Care Woman of the Year
This award is presented to a woman who is a leader, mentor, and role model who has made significant and outstanding contributions to the auto care industry.
2021 Winner: Jilynna Greene, VP, Field HR Operations, AutoZone
Female Shop Owner of the Year
This award is presented annually to an outstanding female shop owner who demonstrates role model behaviors, leadership and commitment to the advancement of women.
2021 Winner: Tara Topel, Owner, Topel’s Service Center, Inc
(See below for bio’s)
Key Talking Points
- Field operations- supply chain, talent acquisition
- Challenge- candidates have more options than ever with increased wages/flexibility. Environment and leadership creates an atmosphere that people want to stay in
- Coach/support person- it’s not an expense, its an investment for your business
- Community- technical/high school
- CADIA- center for automotive diversity advancement, there are underrepresented communities with potential. Safe area to ask the tough questions.
- Every level and every role needs to have a professional designation
- Girl Scouts- “Girl Event” 1,000 girl scouts with vendors and organizations
- Be visible and loud in your community- think about ‘career day’ at school, how many women are involved?
- The target audience is men- improving the business collectively with women leaders
- Impostor syndrome- overcome it and have the confidence to have a seat at the leadership table.
- Mentorship- Have one and be one. 85% of most promotions and development is from mentorship. Women are often mentored the least. Mentor happens naturally every day.
- “Just be cute or be a leader?”
- Female customers- over 50%, customers know their car better than anyone else, scheduling is key
- Discrimination against women on the counter is still prevalent- continue to provide customer service.
- There is still a lot more work to be done by women in the industry
Connect with the show:
Check out today’s partner:
Gold Certification recognizes top-tier NAPA AutoCares with a high level of participation in the AutoCare program. The program was built by AutoCare Centers for AutoCare Centers to provide a consistent consumer experience, maximize technology leverage, and reward NAPA’s most committed partners. In other words, Gold Certified AutoCare Centers are the standard bearers for the AutoCare brand nationwide. Simply put, the Gold Certified NAPA AutoCare program, powered by your local shop brand, will separate you from the rest helping you boost your bay counts and your average repair orders. Learn more about NAPA AutoCare, Gold Certification, and the hundreds of other benefits the NAPA family has to offer by talking with your servicing NAPA store or visiting www.NAPAAutoCare.com