Part 2 of our labor rate discussion in the automotive aftermarket industry. Our panel emphasizes the importance of setting labor rates based on the shop’s own expenses and profitability, rather than comparing them to competitors. They also stress the need for regular labor rate increases and educating staff about the financial aspects of running a shop. They address fear and mindset issues that can affect labor rates and overall success. The episode provides valuable insights and advice for shop owners in effectively setting and managing their labor rates.
- Watch Full Video
- Build Your Labor Rate From The Ground Up Part 1 [THA 276]: https://remarkableresults.biz/remarkable-results-radio-podcast/a276/
- Where the Money Goes – The $100 Lesson [THA 210]: https://remarkableresults.biz/remarkable-results-radio-podcast/a210/
- Labor rates should not be set based on competitors (00:02:10) The importance of setting labor rates based on the shop’s own expenses and profitability, rather than comparing them to competitors.
- Educating staff about where the money goes in the business (00:03:18) The need to teach employees about the various expenses and costs involved in running a shop, to help them understand the labor rates and the owner’s income.
- Fear and mindset issues affecting labor rates and success (00:05:02) The fear and mindset issues that can affect labor rates and the overall success of a shop, and the importance of addressing these issues before setting labor rates.
- The importance of financials and owner thinking (00:07:46) Discussion on the prevalence of shop owners not having up-to-date financial statements and the need for owners to transition from technician thinking to owner thinking.
- Raising the Labor Rate (00:15:40) Discussion on the importance of raising labor rates and providing value to clients.
- Labor Rate and Value (00:17:19) Exploration of flipping the conversation from price to value and the curse of knowledge.
- Labor as Time vs Value (00:18:05) Insights on how labor is often tied to time, but should be based on value and the skills of technicians.
- Setting a Higher Standard (00:23:11) Discussion about the importance of qualifying customers and setting a higher standard for the shop’s services.
- Firing Customers for Excellence (00:24:03) Exploration of the concept of firing customers who compromise the shop’s level of excellence and professionalism.
- Running the Business Like a Business (00:25:58) Importance of charging correctly, controlling the schedule, and making every car count to improve the shop’s profitability and efficiency.
- The impact of increasing labor rates on gross profit (00:31:37) The relationship between increasing labor rates and gross profit. It explains that when a technician’s pay is increased, the labor rate must also be raised to maintain the same gross profit percentage. It highlights the importance of understanding the math behind labor rates and setting them proactively.
- The need to compete with other industries for skilled technicians (00:33:42) The challenges of attracting and retaining skilled technicians in the automotive industry. It compares the benefits and compensation offered by other industries, such as Target and emphasizes the need for competitive labor rates to attract and retain talent. It also highlights the importance of providing tools and benefits to technicians to create a profitable and sustainable industry.
- Building a profitable business (00:42:42) The significance of being profitable and setting labor rates that allow for a 20-25% net profit, as well as the importance of love and grace in running a successful shop.
- The importance of making changes now (00:44:27) The need to make changes in labor rates immediately instead of waiting and encourages shop owners to trust the advice of coaches.
Thanks to our Partners Shop-Ware and Delphi Technologies
Shop-Ware: More Time. More Profit. Shop-Ware Shop Management https://getshopware.com/
Delphi Technologies: Keeping current on the latest vehicle systems and how to repair them is a must for today’s technicians. http://DelphiAftermarket.com
Connect with the Podcast
-Join our Insider List: https://remarkableresults.biz/insider
-All books mentioned on our podcasts: https://remarkableresults.biz/books
-Our Classroom page for personal or team learning: https://remarkableresults.biz/classroom
-Buy Me a Coffee: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/carm
-The Aftermarket Radio Network: https://aftermarketradionetwork.com
-Special episode collections: https://remarkableresults.biz/collections