Recorded Live at Vision 2023, Bill Haas and Sara Fraser discuss strategies for dealing with difficult customers in the automotive industry. They provide tips on identifying warning signs, asking questions, and differentiating between difficult and upset customers. They also emphasize the importance of providing excellent customer service, building trust, and owning up to mistakes. Bonus at the end: a humorous anecdote about the purpose of buttons on a gentleman’s sport coat sleeve.
- Difficult customers [00:02:04] The different types of difficult customers, how they affect the business, and how to identify warning signs.
- Strategies for dealing with difficult customers [00:03:21] Including not taking it personally, avoiding defensiveness, and providing opportunities for customers to tell their story.
- Differentiating between difficult and upset customers [00:05:54]
- Empowering Employees [00:07:11] Discussion on the importance of empowering employees to handle difficult customers
- Coaching Difficult Customers [00:08:49] The benefits of listening to recorded calls to coach employees on how to handle difficult customers, and the importance of asking the right questions to understand their concerns.
- Dealing with Demanding Customers [00:09:23]
- Control and Frustration [00:13:40] Discussion on how difficult customers often want to be in control of the situation and how frustration can lead to difficult behavior.
- Identifying Difficult Customers [00:14:00] How to identify warning signs of difficult customers and make them feel in control.
- Making a Connection [00:14:36] How to show customers that you care and are on their side, and how to differentiate between difficult and upset customers.
- Dealing with Comebacks [00:16:05] How to handle customers who return with complaints, and why it’s important to own up to mistakes and make things right.
- Customer Service Experiences [00:18:32] The importance of good customer service experiences, and how to connect with upset customers by actively listening and repeating their concerns.
- Empathy and Care [00:21:37] Importance of showing empathy and care towards customers, and empowering employees to do the right thing.
- Customer Service in the Pandemic [00:25:06] Discussion on the impact of the pandemic on customer service, and experiences with short-staffed businesses.
- Key Phrase for Difficult Customers [00:29:01] The guests share a key phrase to use when dealing with difficult customers: “If you give me a moment, I know I can help you.”
- Red Flag Words [00:29:28] The guests discuss the importance of avoiding red flag words when communicating with customers.
- Policy for Dealing with Difficult Customers [00:30:36] The idea of creating a policy for dealing with difficult customers.
Thanks to our Partner, NAPA AUTO CARE
Learn more about NAPA AUTO CARE and the benefits of being part of the NAPA family by visiting www.NAPAAutoCare.com
Connect with the Podcast:
-Join our Insider List: https://remarkableresults.biz/insider
-All books mentioned on our podcasts: https://remarkableresults.biz/books
-Our Classroom page for personal or team learning: https://remarkableresults.biz/classroom
-Buy Me a Coffee: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/carm
-The Aftermarket Radio Network: https://aftermarketradionetwork.com
-Special episode collections: https://remarkableresults.biz/collections