Dwayne Myers is a partner in Dynamic Automotive in the greater Maryland area. Dwayne invests time in the industry with the Auto Care Association and serves on the education committee with CCPN (Car Care Professional Network). Dwayne was recently honored as one of only 17 outstanding individuals that qualified for the prestigious 2017 World Class Technician Award presented by The Auto Care Association and ASE. He is very passionate about hiring and sustaining a strong and engaged team. Listen to Dwayne’s previous episodes HERE.
Key Talking Points
- There is a top group of Millennials that are perfect for our industry.
- They need development and good leadership to take them to the next level.
- Many millennials did not do what we did at their age.
- They may not have the social skills, eye contact, or making friends. We can help them with their soft skills.
- We must offer them a career plan or path with you and/or the industry.
- Working them on building a career path is your responsibility.
- They are smart and have yet to apply themselves to their future.
- We need to be a goal based industry with roadmaps for each individual on our team.
- Stop the reviews based on a score of 1 to 5. Review your people based on their goals; short, medium and long range.
- You need to help them achieve their goals.
- Pair millennials with baby boomers. Pairing multi-generation people helps bring out the shared wisdom.
- Promote from within. Your goal based review system helps here.
- People want to work at a place where the culture is to promote from within. Don’t just say it do it.
- A benefit from promoting from within, they have already tasted the kool-aid.
- You grow your own tech by promoting from inside.
- Show a world of opportunity in our amazing industry where they do not have to be a technician for the rest of their lives.
- Reach out to parents, high schools, colleges and bring them into your business and show the opportunities.
- Invite the entire class at the local automotive college to your shop for a tour and a talk about the breadth and size of our industry.
- Apprenticeship programs are another great way to integrate a new team member.
- Dwayne hasn’t looked for young talent in 3 – 4 years because of the strength of his apprentice program.
- Apprentices must be challenged.
- The basis of your strong culture will be to communicate. The millennial generation wants to hear from us.
- A special thanks to Dwayne Myers for sharing his passion – For The Record.
- Books mentioned in the content library HERE
- Leave me an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one of them.
- Email Carm HERE.
This episode is brought to you by FlexCheck Auto Digital Vehicle Inspection Software.
Savvy shop owners use vehicle inspections to find additional work on a vehicle that the vehicle owner may not know is needed. The most successful shop owners fully inspect every car, every time. It benefits the vehicle owner more than the shop because most vehicle owners want their autos to be reliable.
FlexCheck Auto takes the power of a shop’s inspection process and puts it in the palm of your technician’s hand so that pictures, video and vehicle specific notes about a vehicle’s condition can be shared quickly with vehicle owners. This simple, fully customizable system is designed to operate on any Android device. It improves technician efficiency in the bays, service writer efficiency at the counter, increases average repair order and builds trust with vehicle owners.
Today’s vehicle owners want to receive their vehicles health status electronically, this makes FlexCheck Auto the most transparent way to do sell auto repair. Try it for free for 30 days! Go to FlexCheckAuto.com to learn more.
Download the Remarkable Results Radio listening APP for your smart device: